British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-06-19, 06:49 PM

Default Reference Books and Good Sellers

Hi guys,

Could anybody point me in the direction of decent reference books and sellers who are known for selling original cap badges and not fakes.

Thanks
Old 01-06-19, 07:01 PM

Hi Arran,

All depends what you’re after really, are there specific themes or strands to your collection?

For general badge collecting literature and pictures: Kipling & King vols. 1 & 2; Military Badge Collecting by John Gaylor (1st or 2nd edns).

For picture references: Badges of the British Army 1820-1960 by F. Wilkinson (1969 edition).

Top of my dealers list in no particular order would be Geoff Newman, David Smith and Andy Plewa.

However I would stress the best advice would be to research the badge on here first to make an informed decision prior to purchase to ensure you’re satisfied it’s genuine. Even the best make mistakes, we’re all human after all.

Good luck,

Luke

P.S. re reference books later research has shown there are inaccuracies in all, so it’s wise to check dates/assertions on the forum. They do however still remain valuable works.

Last edited by Luke H; 01-06-19 at 10:54 PM.
Old 01-06-19, 07:55 PM

I would certainly add Lea Matin to the list of trusted sellers - extremely knowledgeable.
Old 01-06-19, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volunteer Soldier View Post
I would certainly add Lea Matin to the list of trusted sellers - extremely knowledgeable.
Who?

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 01-06-19, 09:27 PM

Les Martin as most people will know - Is somebody having a Victor M moment ???
David
Old 01-06-19, 09:47 PM

Welcome Arran. It would be handy if you told us what you collected and then the advice would be more specific maybe.
Old 01-06-19, 10:41 PM

Most of what you have seen are various 'collector's books' - useful for general identification but most of this are unreferenced hearsay..

For serious research the British War Office provides the detailed Badge Pattern numbers from c 1855 - it gets more complicated by the 1st WW - these are logged at the Naional Archives under WO 359/-, From 1939 badge details are under the Ministry of Supply - also under TNA. There are similar official archives for Canada.
Apart from all that - there are loads of different dies / types of various badges which will categorise different dies.
Badge Patterns are generally held under the NA (National Achives) IWM (Imperial War Museum) but the best Pattern collection is at the NAM (National Army Museum). )

enjoy !
Old 03-06-19, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiko View Post
Welcome Arran. It would be handy if you told us what you collected and then the advice would be more specific maybe.
I mainly collect Scottish related Cap Badges and Plastic Economy Badges.

Last edited by Arran.Sinclair; 03-06-19 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-06-19, 05:30 PM

LES MARTIN
Old 03-06-19, 07:34 PM

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=73313
Have a look at this thread Arran, member Billy has some good plastic economies for sale, other members do sell good items from time to time too so worth keeping a look out in the sales section, welcome aboard,
Wilf
Old 15-06-20, 11:09 AM

Man, I searched this day on Google some good reference books for my brother. You know, his birthday is coming soon. For this reason, the best gift for him would be this book. He is a serious collector, over 200 cap badges. I don't really understand this passion for cap badges, I don't collect anything except comics and reading light novels. I'm always into this light novel updates, my friends and my parents understand me except my brother. He always tells me "Dude, you are childish, a real man doesn't collect this kind of shit". I don't deny, maybe I'm still a child...but c'mon have I ever told you how weird is your collection. Don't get me wrong, I love my brother, that's why I will find the best gift for him.

Last edited by ballcaccha; 16-06-20 at 11:58 AM.

Tags
cap badges, reference books, scottish cap badges, seller