British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-04-18, 01:45 AM

Default Canadian Para berets and badges

I have some Canadian para berets that trying to authenticate; I know nothing about the intricacies of these items.

1) The first is a 1974 Fleur de Lis, Beret Maroon, Dorothea Knitting Mills with non-magnetic grommets. It has an Officers two piece “Airborne Canada Aeroporte” cap badge with a tang fastener.
2) The 2nd is also maroon in shade with a “Canadian Parachute Corps” enlisted badge with a tang. Magnetic grommets.
3) The last is marked is a size 7 1/2 1945, Fleur de Lis Basque Beret from Dorothea Knitting Mills, Limited, Toronto. No visible Broad arrow or other text, non-magnetic grommets with leather reinforcing over the grommets on the inside. The two-piece “Canadian Parachute Corps” metal badge is well made (in my opinion) and in need of a good clear to remove the green corrosion (advice appreciated). Some detail of the back of the badge tang is shown. Two parallel holes, probably for original posts to the cap badge, are apparent before the slider badge has been added.

There seems to be rather a lot of the WWII era chocolate berets around currently?

I hope there is sufficient detail in the photos to determine if they are period original, made-up or outright replicas. I can add more images if required.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canadian Para berets 2.jpg (67.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 74 cap badge.jpg (75.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 74 inside.jpg (90.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 74 grommets, non magnetic.jpg (52.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg enlisted badge, maroon metalic.jpg (80.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg enlisted maroon grommets.jpg (65.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 1945, chocolate para beret.jpg (57.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 1945 cap badge, canadian Para Corps.jpg (64.5 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 45 badge construction.jpg (71.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 45 beret inside reieforcement.jpg (76.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 20-04-18, 02:03 AM

Zorgon, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

The best I can tell you is the berets are original anyways. Both the 1 Can Para badges are reproductions. On the officers badge, the parachute and the scroll are silver but it's 2 pieces, never 1 and the wings and maple leafs are brass. The sliders are also a bit of a giveaway.
I can't speak to the Canadian Airborne badge as it may be one of the later ones made but the quality seems a little weak compared to the early badges with the parachute overlay looking overly thick.

Collector of a wide variety of Canadian Militaria
...........that my wife will sell at discount prices
or throw away after I am gone.............CHIMO
Old 20-04-18, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

As Sapper00 says, both the Canadian Parachute Corps badges are reproductions. The Canadian Airborne Regiment look okay.
Old 20-04-18, 02:59 PM

Hi

I agree that the CAR badge is OK. I have one just like it. With that slider, Middle 1970s (possibly UK) manufacture. Nice one.

Oh, and I don't think it is an Officer's badge.

regards
Darrell

Last edited by Darrell; 20-04-18 at 03:13 PM.
Old 20-04-18, 03:03 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments.
So much to learn - so little time.
Old 20-04-18, 06:44 PM

Default Canadian Para Beret and Badges

Would like to take the opportunity to provide benchmark imagery of a beret and cap badge which I obtained in the summer of 1976, while visiting onboard the Museum and Depot of the then Canadian Parachute Regiment and Airborne Forces in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It was personally handed to me by CWO Arn Middleton, then curator of the museum, and serving member of the regiment. I paid for it, and it was drawn directly out of regimental stores at the time. I don't believe I have to equivocate regarding authenticity and provenance. I do apologize for my lack of professional photographic skills regarding lighting and resolution of the imagery. Only hope I don't have major problems with the forum's necessary limitations on memory.

Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3770.jpg (86.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3771.jpg (73.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3780.jpg (60.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3775.jpg (105.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3774.jpg (113.7 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 20-04-18 at 06:53 PM. Reason: An addition
Old 20-04-18, 06:54 PM

Arnhemjim, those are perfect examples of the 1970's beret and cap badge, thanks for sharing.

Did you try the mock tower across the street from the depot?

Mike
Old 20-04-18, 07:31 PM

Default Canadian Para Beret and Badges

Hello Mike,
Unfortunately didn't have the opportunity at the time. However, have done my bit on occasion. Was there with wife and three children on vacation from Southern California. Had corresponded with Arn prior to visit, and never forget him in immaculate mufti, complete with maroon blazer, taking his day off to provide a private tour of the museum. True gentleman.

Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171215_0001.jpg (44.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 20-04-18, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Just a note re the CAR badges. There are several variations of their badege, including a recently id'd lugged pattern, first issue. The quality of the CAR badges varies considerably.
Old 21-04-18, 12:15 AM

Default CABR hat badge

Jim,

Looks like you have the second issue badge with the panel lines included in the interior of the chute. The issues both before and after are flat in the chute interior. Apparently, this second issue did not stay around too long and the next issue went back to the flat interior. Lou Grimshaw states in his book that this badge is considered rare.

Ian B
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"

Last edited by Ian B; 21-04-18 at 03:06 PM. Reason: correction/addition of information

Tags
airborne, beret, cap badges, dorothea, parachute