British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-06-20, 04:49 AM

Default WW2 Irish Regimental Badges

Hello all! I am new to the forum, and I am in possession of three cap badges from Irish regiments: one Royal Ulster Rifles badge and two Royal Irish Fusiliers badges. Having perused the forum, I am fairly confident the RUR badge may be authentic, and one of the two RIF badges is a fake, but I am uncertain about the second RIF badge. I assumed it would be a fake as well, due to the absence of sweat holes, but also saw what may be possibly places they were filled in.

I have attached images of the three badges below in the order above, RUR, fake RIF, and possibly real RIF. I appreciate any advice, thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4206.jpg (70.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4189.jpg (46.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4201.jpg (52.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4202.jpg (56.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4205.jpg (43.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4196.jpg (54.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4197.jpg (55.6 KB, 49 views)
Old 26-06-20, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Hello sccollins07, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
Old 26-06-20, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

I suspect that the RUR is in fact RIR as the hairpin slider was a sealed pattern which was pre 1922 and regimental re-titling on partition.

The one piece RIF is a nice original with local modification. I would not condemn the other one either.
Old 26-06-20, 01:28 PM

The RIFs with the curved brass reinforcing are factory made rather than a local modification. This is apparent by both the professionally brazed attachment and also lack of any traces of loops being fitted to the coronet.

In my belief these are later badges, likely post WW2. To date I have seen badges with this construction marked by Firmin and Dowler. The Dowler made badges lack braze holes whilst the Firmin badges have a more die cast reverse especially apparent behind the flames, with 2 N-S circular braze holes.
Old 26-06-20, 03:41 PM

Alan and Luke are spot on in my opinion.
Old 26-06-20, 03:55 PM

Thanks all! That’s very interesting that the badge may be RIR rather than RUR. Clearly I have a lot to learn, glad to be part of this forum! What indications on the two piece RIF badge might indicate it could be authentic? I assumed that lack of sweat holes was essentially an immediate condemnation.
Old 27-06-20, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Sweat holes were often absent for some makers and especially in the 1940s and 50s.
Old 28-06-20, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
The RIFs with the curved brass reinforcing are factory made rather than a local modification. This is apparent by both the professionally brazed attachment and also lack of any traces of loops being fitted to the coronet.

In my belief these are later badges, likely post WW2. To date I have seen badges with this construction marked by Firmin and Dowler. The Dowler made badges lack braze holes whilst the Firmin badges have a more die cast reverse especially apparent behind the flames, with 2 N-S circular braze holes.
Curious that these may be post ww2 badges with that style of construction.
Any further clarification on this matter?

CB

Tags
cap badges, royal irish fusiliers, royal ulster rifles