British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-07-20, 10:51 AM

Question SAS UK or Aussie?

Hi guys,

This SAS wing has been in my collection for many, many years. I guess it's here for over 40 years, coming from the collection of my late father. He (and I) always tought it was Aussie. I even once got contacted from an Aussie collector who offered me a lot of money for it because it was supposed to be old and rare. Lately I've been told it isn't Aussie at all. So it would be great to find out where it comes from and from which period. The back looks terrible, my late father had the bad habbit of glueing stuff on frames. Need to find a good way to clean this without damaging the badge.

Cheers,

Alain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0060.jpg (87.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0061.jpg (76.4 KB, 66 views)
Old 01-08-20, 02:19 PM

Hi Alain,

At first glance it doesn't look like an Australian wing. How wide is the wing in cm?

Paul
Old 01-08-20, 03:00 PM

...looks like a copy of British SAS Territorial para wing.
Old 02-08-20, 03:31 PM

Paul,
Width of the entire badge is 8,2 cm, from wingtip to wintip 6,2 cm. It is in my possesion between 30 to 40 years. Many years ago I got contacted by an Aussie collector (to bad I don't know his name anymore) who offered me a lot of money for the wing. He told me it was an old and very rare Aussie SAS wing. I declined saying that if he as an Aussie already offered so much money, how would I ever be able to find another one.
Old 02-08-20, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3battalion View Post
Hi Alain,

At first glance it doesn't look like an Australian wing. How wide is the wing in cm?

Paul
Paul,
Width of the entire badge is 8,2 cm, from wingtip to wintip 6,2 cm. It is in my possesion between 30 to 40 years. Many years ago I got contacted by an Aussie collector (to bad I don't know his name anymore) who offered me a lot of money for the wing. He told me it was an old and very rare Aussie SAS wing. I declined saying that if he as an Aussie already offered so much money, how would I ever be able to find another one.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-08-20, 12:49 AM

Julian Tennant in Western Australia would probably know. He co-authored 'ANZAC Elite' with Cliff Lord.
Old 03-08-20, 03:44 AM

Agree, Julian would be the best source for confirmation. Looking at John O'Connor's book "Australian Airborne: The History and Insignia of Australian Military Parachuting," I'd say this wing closely resembles the wings shown on page 406: Australian SAS parachute badge made locally for 3 SAS Squadron on active service in Vietnam, Type 2, 1970. Also resembles wings #301-305 in Julian's book, also attributed as locally made in Vietnam for 1 and 3 SAS Squadrons, 1966-70.

Stay well,
Donovan
Old 03-08-20, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeochil View Post
Julian Tennant in Western Australia would probably know. He co-authored 'ANZAC Elite' with Cliff Lord.
Am already in contact with Jules, he doesn't know either :-)
Old 04-08-20, 01:37 AM

I think Donovan may have nailed it with it being a locally made Vietnam era wing.

Good collecting

Paul