British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-07-20, 05:58 AM

Default 35th Divisional Engineers Norfolk DR

Hi I have this image of a member of the 34th Div Engineers (Norfolk) taken in 1915 in the grounds of Norwich Cathedral. The 3 field companies were billeted in that area before going of to train.

The war diaries name all the DRs so I can narrow this man down to one of twenty.

I’d welcome any comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2CBDA25A-9E58-4B92-9ABB-63FB867482E7.jpg (48.7 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-07-20, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyboy View Post
Hi I have this image of a member of the 34th Div Engineers (Norfolk) taken in 1915 in the grounds of Norwich Cathedral. The 3 field companies were billeted in that area before going of to train.

The war diaries name all the DRs so I can narrow this man down to one of twenty.

I’d welcome any comments.
The bike is a triumph model h, which was 500cc, and made as an army dispatch bike in 1915
Old 10-07-20, 01:12 PM

Cheers Andrew I know you know your motor bikes and I wondered on the model the date fits really well. Pulls Ferry is in the background not far from my old house.
Old 10-07-20, 02:47 PM

That's a great photos,

As a Triumph rider myself, I lovel to see these old images. I was offered one of of these six months ago but too expensive for me, still it was lovely to see - sat in the chaps living room

Cheerio,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 10-07-20, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
That's a great photos,

As a Triumph rider myself, I lovel to see these old images. I was offered one of of these six months ago but too expensive for me, still it was lovely to see - sat in the chaps living room

Cheerio,

Roy
Hello Roy
Hoping you are keeping well and that you are all reunited after your long trek.
You are probably aware, but there are several sets of old cigarette cards on the subject of motorbikes - I recall dads collection - several sets are of classic machines probably circa WW1 or there abouts. It may be a good source of research - or just of great interest regarding the old classics. There are several sets on 'speed' but the motorcycles were a separate subject area. I love the old cigarette cards - many on military subjects too. Probably true to say the cards were mainly targeted at male interests - sport, film stars, household hints, numerous historical subjects, flags of the world, architecture, natural history etc - perhaps a bit sexist to say so these days. My twin brother and I learned our early history from them and could quote the King's and Queens of England and their dates, in random order, before we went to Primary School - could not do it now alas ... good old dad! They look good if framed too ...
Mike

Here is a sample on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lambert-a...MAAOSwgUNfAQOP

And another https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CIGARETTE....c100005.m1851

Last edited by Mike B; 10-07-20 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-07-20, 04:52 PM

Thanks a lot Mike,

Yes, pleased to be back, especially now it's gone even crazier over here in Arizona.

Been using the time to enjoy my collections, so no complaints. Thanks for sharing these, will certain take a peek.

Stay safe mate.

Cheers,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com