British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-10-18, 01:44 PM

Default Badge registry

Can I ask why after all this time that the forum has been going that there is only the British cavalry badge registry, I think it would be nice for the British to have something like the Canadians have as I'm sure some members would have some cracking examples of even the most run of the mill county regiment, corps, anodised and yeomanry badges etc.
Old 14-10-18, 02:12 PM

Completely agree Andy, it’s a great idea! Perhaps the mods can get the ball rolling.
Old 14-10-18, 05:35 PM

Don't forget the Pipers' Badges, but I don't think that's got past page 2 yet. I've got more Pipers badges in my personal album (97) than there are in the album. I'm happy to send pictures and give permission for them to be used, but I agree the British section could be a lot, lot better.
Ref the Cavalry one, I've frequently been disappointed when I've tried to look badges up in it. There are no arm badges, some regiments are missing completely (15/19) and some have pitifully few badges in. Collar badges, pouch badges are sadly lacking. Yeomanry? Where (I'm aware there's an Arm Badge section, I'm a member)
As I've said, I'm happy to send pictures to mods of stuff I've got, and I hope all readers will do the same. We have an opportunity tp massively improve on previous "paper" publications such as Kipling and King, Lineker & Dine, Gaylor, Edwards & Langley etc.
WE SHOULD BE LOOKING AFTER OUR HOBBY AND PUTTING IN PLACE BETTER REFERENCES.

I'll get off my soap box now,

Ian H
Old 14-10-18, 06:01 PM

If the book is improved it won't be by me, but I will want an autographed first copy of the first edition, and good luck to the author!

Last edited by grumpy; 14-10-18 at 09:46 PM. Reason: change
Old 15-10-18, 03:37 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by a 'badge registry' - and (for the cavalry only !?) whereabouts on the Forum is it?

Do you mean a complete list of every badge worn by certain unit / s ?

Single unit students like myself are indeed compiling different types - WO / MoD Patterns, different ranks (and yes, pipers etc) dates, variations, construction, fixings, makers, unofficial, dies etc etc etc
Old 15-10-18, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by a 'badge registry' - and (for the cavalry only !?) whereabouts on the Forum is it?

Do you mean a complete list of every badge worn by certain unit / s ?

Single unit students like myself are indeed compiling different types - WO / MoD Patterns, different ranks (and yes, pipers etc) dates, variations, construction, fixings, makers, unofficial, dies etc etc etc
Here you go:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/br..._1896_date.htm

28650000-F06B-446E-92E1-4D37D6AD0355.jpg
Old 15-10-18, 06:32 PM

I have a " registry " of anodised cap /beret badges,so to speak,everything ive ever come across
It covers variants in voiding,colour and fittings.