British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-03-09, 03:23 PM

Default Queen's Own Highlanders (Seaforth & Camerons) Pipers badge

Another weekend auction purchase which I haven't seen before. This is badge which fits Peter Taylor's description of a QOH pipers badge except it is gold anodised not silver as is usual. It has a damaged lug but no other obvious signs of wear. The reverse is marked Gaunt London.

The other badge pictured is a Highland Brigade. It is the fittings which may be of interest. They appear to have been stamped out of the same piece of metal as the body of the badge, the holes drilled out and then the lugs bent at 90degrees to make the fittings. No maker's name on this one though (before Chris asks).

Any experts about?
Thanks, Stephen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scottish ano (1).jpg (56.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Scottish ano (2).jpg (65.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 25-03-09, 06:51 PM

I don't know about the QOH badge but I have a Highland Brigade badge with a broken lug that I got off the soldier it was issued to (because of the lug) and it is identical to your's in all respects.
, except of course for the number of lugs,
Old 25-03-09, 08:00 PM

Stephen. Re your QOH gilt coloured badge. Just a guess. Could it be a "Pipe-Major's" badge c.1961-70 ?

Last edited by Jeff Mc William; 25-03-09 at 08:37 PM.
Old 26-03-09, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Another weekend auction purchase which I haven't seen before. This is badge which fits Peter Taylor's description of a QOH pipers badge except it is gold anodised not silver as is usual. It has a damaged lug but no other obvious signs of wear. The reverse is marked Gaunt London.

The other badge pictured is a Highland Brigade. It is the fittings which may be of interest. They appear to have been stamped out of the same piece of metal as the body of the badge, the holes drilled out and then the lugs bent at 90degrees to make the fittings. No maker's name on this one though (before Chris asks).

Any experts about?
Thanks, Stephen.
Hi Stephen,
I'm liking the QOH pipers badge, unusual in gilt as we know. I have a Royal Scots, all gilt too. And it has a broken lug with indications that its been worn. Again odd colours, we have discussed at length, sometime obscure units and sometimes manufacturers 'seconds', mistakes or part finished badges. Cant shed any light on your QOH badge though I'm afraid.

The Higland Brigade badge is fine and generally there are two types that are found. Your version is the all anodised alluminium example. There is also a 'hybrid' version where the stag is anodised alluminium and the St Andrews cross in the background is a chromed metal, which includeds metal lugs.

This badge which was originally used for the Highland Brigade almost 40 years ago is now used for (I believe) the Highland Division band. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but fairly sure that is the case.

All the best mate, nice find!

Regards all

Bess
Old 26-03-09, 07:53 PM

Youre right Bess,the same goes for the Lowland badge as well.
Old 27-03-09, 12:27 AM

Your 99% right Bess. The Highland Brigade badge was worn by the TA Band of 51 Highland Regiment with a Black Watch red hackle on both Balmoral bonnets and Tam O'Shanters.

However, since the formation of the new regiment, they now wear the new regimental badge but still retain the red hackle and are now The Highland Band of The Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Cheers,
Wairua
Old 27-03-09, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wairua View Post
Your 99% right Bess. The Highland Brigade badge was worn by the TA Band of 51 Highland Regiment with a Black Watch red hackle on both Balmoral bonnets and Tam O'Shanters.

However, since the formation of the new regiment, they now wear the new regimental badge but still retain the red hackle and are now The Highland Band of The Royal Regiment of Scotland.

Cheers,
Wairua
Thanks mate, had a feeling I was sort of in the right area! Any ideas about the gilt anodised QOH pipers? very unusual.
Old 27-03-09, 11:30 AM

Stephen,

My Highland Brigade badge, which was acquired in the early 1970's, is exactly the same as yours.

Cheers
Chris
Old 27-03-09, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bess55 View Post
Thanks mate, had a feeling I was sort of in the right area! Any ideas about the gilt anodised QOH pipers? very unusual.
No idea on the QOH badge at the moment but I'll check with an ex Queens Own Piper and post any helpful comments he may make.

Cheers,
W
Old 31-03-09, 03:26 PM

Default QOH Pipers

Hi Badjez
I have also got a gold-anodised QOH pipers, which is one of the 4 I have in my collection. The one I have I think is anodised base metal, rather than aluminium, so I'm not too sure of the authenticity. The other three are all white metal finish but are as follows: anodised aluminium, base metal and white metal. I would be interested to find out what metals were used because the base metal variety could be a more modern version than the one described in Gaylors book. I hope some of the other forum members can come up with some more info on these.
Is yours anodised aluminium or anodised base metal?
Cheers, Alex
Old 31-03-09, 05:30 PM

Default QOH Pipers

Alex,
Thank you for your input. Yes, my badge could be a base metal with an anodised coating. The maker's mark is raised, as if part of the cast, not stamped into it. The badge weighs 20g.
Regards, Stephen.
Old 01-10-18, 10:54 AM

Can anyone kindly advise when that specific design of QOH pipers' badge was actually worn and under what circumstances?

I have seen pipers wearing that badge as well as the normal regimental badge on their glengarries and around the same time period.

Confused/Ron
Old 01-10-18, 11:18 AM

The Highland Brigade badge is good. For whatever reason they retained the odd integral lugs for the cross part of the badge. The only other badges ive seen that used this were the 1st pattern KC RAOC badge and the all gold SWB badge. These are both very very early examples of a/a badges.

The QOHldrs gold pipers badge ,i have listed as an error.
Old 01-10-18, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPiper View Post
Can anyone kindly advise when that specific design of QOH pipers' badge was actually worn and under what circumstances?

I have seen pipers wearing that badge as well as the normal regimental badge on their glengarries and around the same time period.

Confused/Ron
1961-1970. From the amalgamation of the Seaforths and the Camerons till the end of the Highland Brigade.
Old 02-10-18, 05:22 PM

If you g....e Queens Own Highlanders pipe major ,theres an item regarding the death of Alisdair Gillies who was the last QoHldrs PM and the first Highlanders PM. The image shows him clearly wearing the silver coloured pipers badge.