British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Police

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-11-15, 02:20 PM

Default Unknown wing - BSAP Connection?

Hi All
I bought this tatty old wing on a whim because it is exactly the same style as the BSAP wings. Does it have a BSAP connection or can anybody identify it for me?
Thanks in advance. Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (49.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (32.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 24-11-15, 02:43 PM

Whilst the wings part and the wreath certainly look like they are from a BSAP Reserve Air Wing Pilots wing it is not a BSAP issue item. Probably made up to catch people unaware or maybe a one off by a unit member though I can't think what the S might stand for as the only 'ranks' or 'appointments' in that unit were Police Reserve Pilot and Police Reserve Observer.

The Unit continued under the Zimbabwe Republic Police but I don't think they diverted from the usual wings apart from a change of badge in the centre and they were not very active

Wayne

Old 24-11-15, 05:00 PM

Hi Wayne
Thanks for the comments, I can't argue with anything you've said.
I tend to think this may have been a 'one-off' or something similar. I'm not at all knowledgeable about BSAP badges but here are my arguments:
- It's definitely old, so must be a period badge.
- The wings on the badge are exactly the same as the one you posted, all the detail etc is the same.
- The photos of all the BSAP wings I have seen show the wreath to bulge slightly to go around the central badge but the 'S' wing has a narrower wreath to go around the 'S' so I feel that it was made for purpose.
Any other ideas? Thanks again, cheers,
Alex
Old 27-11-15, 01:28 PM

Hi Alex, perhaps made as a sample for 'Spotter' before the title Observer was decided on? Or by an Observer who preferred that title? Either way it was never an official issue. Pic below shows the official wings.

Regards Wayne

Old 27-11-15, 02:50 PM

I'll take it as a genuine and original, not to mention unique ' Spotter' wing then
Old 01-12-15, 01:38 PM

I know that there was an active flying club in Salisbury. The attached pin with an S on it for interest!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sby Flying Club.jpg (84.0 KB, 17 views)