British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-12-12, 12:07 PM

Default RFC Wings - Opinions please

Hi All
A friend of mine found these 2 wings in a box of old badges and would like some opinions as to their originality please.
The cloth wing has obviously never be used, but to me looks possibly ok. It passes the UV light test. It still has the original dark blue paper backing, though having never seen a genuine RFC wing, I don't know if that is how they were issued.
The brass wing has been re-lugged (or bladed). It looks like the original lugs may have been removed and someone has soldered bronze OSD badge blades instead.
Any opinions appreciated. Thanks in advance. Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 232.jpg (26.0 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg 233.jpg (22.4 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 234.jpg (20.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 223.jpg (18.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 225.jpg (15.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 226.jpg (20.2 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 228.jpg (29.7 KB, 95 views)
Old 12-12-12, 01:34 PM

HI the cloth wing im really not keen on , dont like the construction - but would rather have them in hand before saying they are fake as there is a few genuine examples that in mint condition have the look of an 1990`s fake ,a better pic of the back would be a help.

The 2nd badge -if it is what I think it is , isnt an item of insignia at all - these are Great war period manufactured but designed to clip on to a picture frame these were bought quite easily in the camp shops Y.M.C.A centres .

For years dealers have sold these as officers quality ` best dress` tunic wings some times out of genuine not knowing and sometimes deliberately the O.S.D type blades are the thing that fool people : but if they look repaired And appear to have old fixings they may be an actual breast badge - what would you say is their colour ?
Old 13-12-12, 12:15 PM

Hi Michael
Thanks for the reply, that makes sense. The only thing with the cloth wings is the paper backing, which looks old and genuine to me. Do you think they may be the ones made for RFC members in the Home Guard in WWII?
Cheers,
Alex
Old 13-12-12, 01:45 PM

HI the wings may well be fine , black backing paper was used to seal the backs but the fakers now use this to hide the loose Pakistan type threads that give the copies away , the paper they use is that blue / black paper found on old badges ARP dressings -once applied and gently washed it starts to disintegrate beautifully and really look the part.

There are far better students than me of RFC insignia on this forum ,they will give you a safer opionion
Old 15-01-13, 06:01 PM

Default reply

..dont like the cloth wings and the brass ones are not issued ,they were used on picture frames..real ones are pin backed.
cheers
casp