British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-12-12, 09:09 PM

Default RAF Regiment WWII long service bars

I followed with interest a recent thread and was very impressed by Fruity 1013's album. In it I saw pre 1920's long service sleeve chevrons. I have just spoken with my Father (RAF Regiment from inception to 1948 - serving armoured cars in NW Europe) who remembers wearing four red cloth bars on his sleeve, and was not sure if it was official. Can anyone help - Would these have been the same as those issued to the Army? I am seeking to collect all his insignia
Cheers
PA Jock
Old 11-12-12, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Jock View Post
I followed with interest a recent thread and was very impressed by Fruity 1013's album. In it I saw pre 1920's long service sleeve chevrons. I have just spoken with my Father (RAF Regiment from inception to 1948 - serving armoured cars in NW Europe) who remembers wearing four red cloth bars on his sleeve, and was not sure if it was official. Can anyone help - Would these have been the same as those issued to the Army? I am seeking to collect all his insignia
Cheers
PA Jock
Hi There
The red bars are for war service each bar representing 1 year service these would have been black or blue backed and can be printed or embroiderd and are official issue regards
steve
Old 12-12-12, 10:24 PM

Default Service bars

Steve, many thanks, [I] now know what exactly what I] am looking for.
Regards, Mark