British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-11, 01:39 PM

Default Z-Force (?) Parachute Wing

Seeing a separate thread on Z-Force Badges or Insignia, I am posting an example of a Parachute Wing that has mention of Z-Force on the back of it. Unfortunately I no longer recall where and when I bought it, so no history or provenance. This pattern of Wing I have also seen previously in the hands of veterans who served in Force 136, in fact I have one of them, with provenance I can post another time. Regards, Clive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg z1.JPG (60.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg z2.JPG (59.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg z3.JPG (40.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 07-12-11, 07:12 PM

Clive, what is it marked with? Looks like permanent marker?
Old 08-12-11, 12:18 AM

No idea Luc, could be ink, but it was done a while ago and not recently. As I mentioned I know what this pattern of Wing is, certainly WW2. If this one was actually used by Z-Force I do not know and see little purpose in marking it on the back if it was not, for me it is interesting all the same. Regards, Clive.
Old 08-12-11, 06:54 PM

I agree about the wings, probably Indian manufacture. However I do not believe an inkmark is very durable so I think it has been applied relative recent.
Old 10-12-11, 11:20 AM

Found out the other day that this pair of Wings had belonged to a well-known British Author, British & Commonwealth Military Knives, and he bought them a long time ago whilst staying in Falmouth. He later sold them through Bosley's, where I guess I must have bought them myself. Does not really prove anything further regarding them being from Z-Force, but they must have thought it possible. Regards, Clive.
Old 25-12-11, 11:45 PM

Are these WWII Australian wings? They seem to be the same style as those posted here and in another thread on force 136, though they are on a different backing and I have not seen this type before.

Thanks for any opinions offered and sorry if this is the wrong place for this question,

Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aussie WWII wings.jpg (72.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg aussie WWII wings reverse.jpg (51.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 25-12-11, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
Are these WWII Australian wings? They seem to be the same style as those posted here and in another thread on force 136, though they are on a different backing and I have not seen this type before.

Thanks for any opinions offered and sorry if this is the wrong place for this question,

Jerry
Hey,

Personally I don't much like them but I could be wrong

Tom
Old 26-12-11, 12:42 AM

They are Aus, nice original ones!
Old 26-12-11, 12:47 AM

The spaghetti back doesn't look right though......
Old 26-12-11, 01:27 AM
peter616

doesn't look right me too

peter

Last edited by peter616; 26-12-11 at 01:55 AM.
Old 26-12-11, 01:51 AM

Jerry, the seller is Andrew Butler from 6thJune1944.com who on his website clearly states all his insignia are of the highest quality and reproduced from original items. These wings have been up for sale on his ebay site for weeks along with many other repros.

[URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-PARACHUTE-AIRBORNE-WING-COTTON-BRITISH-AUSTRALIAN-/160703502191?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256aac d76f"]

I bet if they were real they would be listed for more than $20 on a buy it now.

Richie
Old 26-12-11, 10:59 AM

Many thanks for all the replies and informed opinions offered and though it does not say on the ad for these that they are repros, I am happy to accept that they are and had assumed that they were. It was more of an academic enquiry than any intention of mine to buy them, though I might have. I am fairly new to collecting WWII British and commonwealth items, having collected mostly German items for more than 10 years and that is why I joined this forum to avail myself of the knowledge and experience of the forum members.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Jerry