British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-11-14, 06:15 PM

Question Interesting Canadian Badges ?

Hi there, my interest is now entirely Gurkha insignia - however I came across these in a shop and was wondering whether they'd be worth acquiring for exchange purposes. The first is a large Royal Canadian Signals KC badge - I suspect it's a cross belt plate - the other 4 I have no idea - would appreciate any ideas on their rarity ( or are they quite common ) - apologies for the poor quality of the photos but taken on my phone in the shop! Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RSC.jpg (84.7 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg Canadian Badges.jpg (87.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 11-11-14, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

The Elgin badge is very common. The PPCLI and 171st Bn are scarcer and more desirable. The VON badge is not military. The RCCS badge looks like a plaque piece.
Old 11-11-14, 07:04 PM

Thanks Bill - I'm pretty sure the RCS is a cross belt plate if only because it's in a frame from Potters Military Instrument makers and there are a few other cross belt plates in the frame. I believe it dates from the mid 50's - least ways that's when the frame was put together ( a mixture of KC and QC badges ) - thanks for your feedback - do you have any idea of the value of the two scarcer badges? I don't know what the dealer wants for them yet. Cheers Tim
Old 12-11-14, 12:18 AM

Except that the RCCS never wore a cross-belt. Nor is it a helmet plate as they wore a Busby with a grenade and plume on the side.
C
Old 12-11-14, 02:42 AM

Default V.O.N. Badge link to Canadian Military

The Victorian Order of Nurses were formed in 1897 and saw service through many crises during the late 19th and 20th centuries in Canada; the Canadian Government established the feminine services within the military in 1941;
the V.O.N., provided key personel to the Canadian Army Women's Medical Corps of which the Victorian Order's Superintendent became the first woman to obtain the rank of Colonel in Chief; the metal insignia may be classed as a formation having strong connections with the Canadian Military Establishment.

Ronald LeBlanc
Old 12-11-14, 10:23 AM

Question

Would the RSC have had their own band? - Would they have worn cross belts ?
Old 12-11-14, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the information Ronald. I am not sure of the designation that you are using for the Nursing Sisters? They belonged to the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps and were under that corps. Additionally there was the Canadian Women's Army Corps which was the corps organized for women to serve in the army. It did not include the Nursing Sisters.
The RCCS had bands. Joe Costello may have an answer about the RCCS badge.
Old 20-11-14, 11:04 AM

Hi Tim

The Canadian Guards badge varies based on construction. They are not un-common but I would always rate one above say, the Elgin badge shown.

Good to see you, Ron.

regards
Darrell
Old 24-11-14, 10:18 PM

Default RCCS Band Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
Would the RSC have had their own band? - Would they have worn cross belts ?
I am unable to tell you anything about the badge but I can tell you that in the time of the old so called Kings Crown the following bands existed in the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals:
RCCS band formed in 1952
2 Signal Regiment band from 1926 (2 Bn)
3 Signal Regiment brass band to 1965
8 Signal Regiment trumpet band

(info from The Royal Corps of Signals Supplementary Volume by Cliff Lord) This deals mainly with Commonwealth Signals. 313 pages.

Hopefully that gives you some scope for research. There may be others I have missed too.
Quicksilver