British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-10-18, 09:53 AM

Default JR gaunt.London fakes

hello

i am going to ask a strange question but is there somewhere on line a site (except ebay ) where i can find this kind of "jrgaunt. london" fakes sold for they are and in mint/nearly mint condition at a minimum price

just for my own education!!

regards
christophe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4303_v1.jpg (88.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4304_v1.jpg (78.3 KB, 107 views)
Old 11-10-18, 06:51 PM

Have a look here: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/ma...arks/gaunt.htm

Rgds, Thomas
Old 11-10-18, 07:54 PM

hello
thank you very much for the link

but i would like( i know it 's a strange idea,) to buy some of those fakes for my documentation,so i try to find them at the best price!!
i see some of them on ebay but most are sold either as original items either as undeterminate ones but always at a too expensive price (+ postal fees)
thank again
regards
christophe
Old 12-10-18, 07:37 AM

If you are buying those, do not pay much, they are worthless, in my opinion.
Old 12-10-18, 09:38 AM

Not intended in any way as a criticism...

Whilst I fully appreciate the rationale behind the desire to study and document fake badges, I cannot help but feel that collectors’ energies and resources might be better placed in the study and acquisition of genuine badges. Would this not possibly be a ‘healthier’ direction from which to approach the understanding and identification of fakes?

The potential ongoing negative ramifications for the hobby set in motion by fuelling the fakers’ flames with the oxygen of providing a market for their wares, would seem, from the collectors’ perspective and for the wellbeing of the hobby, to be counterintuitive, and must serve only to perpetuate the lifespan of the faker and the circulation of fake badges; things collectors seek constantly to avoid and ultimately to eradicate.

Supply and demand: if there is a demand, the supply will continue and even flourish, and consequently, pollute the pond further.
Old 12-10-18, 11:26 AM

Hi Christophe. Sorry, can't help you with a specific site, but you will come across them as they are everywhere. The problem for you is price. Another poster here has described them as 'worthless' which they may well be, but they certainly aren't valueless - people collect them knowing they are copies, and knowing that with the GAUNT. mark, and indeed the J.R.GAUNT B'HAM mark, they will be good quality copies. There is demand for them because originals (of this specific badge for example) are few and expensive if bought from dealers. I personally have no problem with trade in copies, only with the deceit of copies sold as original - and the best way to combat that is, as you are attempting, self education. So, I hope you find some somewhere at a good price. I attach a pic of a badge I have, by the looks of it, from the exact same die as the photo you have posted, but with an unmarked slider - a far more dangerous beast! Best regards, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ARTISTS RIFLES 47 x 40 # (1).jpg (82.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg ARTISTS RIFLES 47 x 40 # (2).jpg (91.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 12-10-18, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
If you are buying those, do not pay much, they are worthless, in my opinion.
totally agree if one talks about prices, that's why i want to pay them at a minimum price

not totally agree if one talk about informations i am a newbie for CB collection but i am a former german ww2 badges collector and in this area i found that the best way to avoid fakes is to know them and not only by photos

Last edited by verdun; 12-10-18 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-10-18, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Not intended in any way as a criticism...

Whilst I fully appreciate the rationale behind the desire to study and document fake badges, I cannot help but feel that collectors’ energies and resources might be better placed in the study and acquisition of genuine badges. Would this not possibly be a ‘healthier’ direction from which to approach the understanding and identification of fakes?

The potential ongoing negative ramifications for the hobby set in motion by fuelling the fakers’ flames with the oxygen of providing a market for their wares, would seem, from the collectors’ perspective and for the wellbeing of the hobby, to be counterintuitive, and must serve only to perpetuate the lifespan of the faker and the circulation of fake badges; things collectors seek constantly to avoid and ultimately to eradicate.

Supply and demand: if there is a demand, the supply will continue and even flourish, and consequently, pollute the pond further.
no problem for me sir
i do not take your words as a criticism and i understand perfectly your point of view
Old 12-10-18, 03:26 PM

" and the best way to combat that is, as you are attempting, self education. So, I hope you find some somewhere at a good price. I attach a pic of a badge I have, by the looks of it, from the exact same die as the photo you have posted, but with an unmarked slider - a far more dangerous beas"

"know your ennemy........."

probably the fake badge i posted is an early one,since there have been some mutations and customization
found in a french collection made in the 70's early 80's
Old 12-10-18, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdun View Post
totally agree si one talks about prices, that's why i want to pay them at a minimum price

not totally agree if one talk about informations i am a newbie for CB collection but i am a former german ww2 badges collector and in this area i found that the best way to avoid fakes is to know them and not only by photos
Hi Christophe,

I understand where you are coming from trying to create what many would term ‘a rogues gallery’ of fakes for comparison purposes.

However, I would say there are a great many more fake dies out there than just the Gaunt ones. So to undertake such a task even reasonably comprehensively on copies/fakes worth £3-5 would mean you’ll end up spending hundreds of pounds which could have been spent on the real thing.

The advice of the forum and old threads I think will be just as helpful, and a lot cheaper, but that’s just my opinion.

Cheers,

Luke
Old 12-10-18, 04:05 PM

from what i can see here and there on line indeed there are many fake dies,just want to concentrate on some regiments
artists rifle is one of them

regards
christophe
Old 12-10-18, 04:19 PM

I see. Just to muddy the waters then the Gaunt OSD Artist Rifles badge has continued in use to this day. A lot of the copies you see where there is a notch out of Minerva’s hair are from this die so they are in fact true ‘restrikes’.

Albeit these restrikes are often used to make OR badges in WM.

Have a look at JT’s album and you’ll see a lovely genuine OSD badge from this die and also a genuine WM Artist Rifles... I’m not at all jealous

Ta,

Luke
Old 12-10-18, 05:48 PM

thank for the information

regards
christophe
Old 12-10-18, 10:57 PM

I have a fake artist rifles, came in with a job lot i bought. I may have others somewhere. PM me if you are interested.
Old 12-10-18, 11:03 PM

Here it is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181013_000208.jpg (57.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 20181013_000232.jpg (68.5 KB, 39 views)