British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-10-18, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumdum View Post
Hi

Still keen to know of anyone has seen any period Imperial Service tablets with additions such as the two I posted pics of. Logic says that if I've got a couple, there must be more out there.

If you look at pics of troops entraining you can easily see the tablets against the dark cloth. I've got an informal postcard of a Scot wearing his tablet on his uniform. If there is interest, I'll post it!
Dumdum,

I, for one, would be very interested to see your photo. Is the ISB depicted 'personalised' as described in post #13 above, and as in your post here?

As for the existence of the silver, hallmarked ISB alleged to have been sold by your antique dealer, my view is that it was either a privately made item, or a bit of a yarn. ISBs were intended from the outset to be low-cost, and were made from German silver.

ISBs were of course sometimes worn as sweethearts. I wonder if badges worn as such were perhaps occasionally customised in the way you show above, in order to align them more closely with the serving man's unit?

Regards,

JT

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 08-10-18 at 06:07 AM.
Old 08-10-18, 03:38 PM

I don't think the Imperial Service Brooches in that link are in any way spurious, but, I would have thought they certainly would not be worn in uniform like that by any TF soldier and I would suggest that the dealer who sold an original HM Silver example is a line shooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Dumdum,

I, for one, would be very interested to see your photo. Is the ISB depicted 'personalised' as described in post #13 above, and as in your post here?

As for the existence of the silver, hallmarked ISB alleged to have been sold by your antique dealer, my view is that it was either a privately made item, or a bit of a yarn. ISBs were intended from the outset to be low-cost, and were made from German silver.

ISBs were of course sometimes worn as sweethearts. I wonder if badges worn as such were perhaps occasionally customised in the way you show above, in order to align them more closely with the serving man's unit?

Regards,

JT
Old 08-10-18, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I don't think the Imperial Service Brooches in that link are in any way spurious, but, I would have thought they certainly would not be worn in uniform like that by any TF soldier and I would suggest that the dealer who sold an original HM Silver example is a line shooter.
Frank,

I agree, though I'd love to see such an image if it were the case.
Old 09-10-18, 01:16 AM

Hi JT

Yes, rather suspect that the antique dealer was either deluded or mistaken. Point being that if they had made them in H/M silver, you'd think that at least one or two more would have bobbed to the surface by now.
Yes, those are the pics of my Imp Service tablets and you may well be right about the subsequent "sweetheart" use of them.
I'll see if I can dig out the p/c of the Scottie!
Old 09-10-18, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Hi JT

Yes, rather suspect that the antique dealer was either deluded or mistaken. Point being that if they had made them in H/M silver, you'd think that at least one or two more would have bobbed to the surface by now.
Yes, those are the pics of my Imp Service tablets and you may well be right about the subsequent "sweetheart" use of them.
An example of the ISB being worn as a sweetheart:

JT ISB SH.jpg

JT
Old 09-10-18, 11:15 PM

Hi JT

Planning to dig out that photo of the Scot this weekend!
Old 10-10-18, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Hi JT

Yes, rather suspect that the antique dealer was either deluded or mistaken. Point being that
if they had made them in H/M silver, you'd think that at least one or two more would have bobbed to the surface by now.
Completely agree.

Quote:
Hi JT

Planning to dig out that photo of the Scot this weekend!
Thank you. I look forward to seeing your picture.

Regards,

JT
Old 11-10-18, 02:16 AM

Hi JT

Been thinking about the posts on these "doubtful" ISBs. A local dealer has some that he says surfaced in India along with some ARP badges that have a look of being cast. There were also some WW2 King's badges looking as if they were from the same source.

A UK contact once contacted a company in India wanting some "I" prefix Silver War Badges for his collection. They answered that they didn't have any but could make them for him if he wanted them to......