British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-04-19, 09:03 PM

Default FAO: Roy

Thought the following info from Bletchley Park, might be of interest to Roy:

1943 Norton WD16H

The Norton 16H was first presented to the military in 1932, and was found to be a suitable solution to an ever growing need for suitable motorcycles. Norton designers began working with the War Office on a range of modifications and having secured a military order, the WD16H (War Department 16H) went on to become one of the most popular bikes used by dispatch riders during the war.

Selected due to their cheap production costs, economical petrol usage and easy repair, over 100,000 of the WD version of the 16H were manufactured before and during WW2. The BSA, and Matchless, were very similar and also incredibly popular.

Pre-war, the colour of the paintwork depended on the branch of the services the bike belonged to; dark blue for the Navy, light blue for the RAF, and khaki green for the Army. However, in 1939, all motorcycles became identically produced as the Army bikes, regardless of which service they belonged to. Some motorcycles were painted sand coloured to camouflage them in the desert for use in North Africa.

[Apologies for the poor quality images; fighting with reflections on display case glass].

Related thread: https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...Dispatch+rider
Old 20-04-19, 10:22 PM

Hi JT,

Wonderful..! Many thanks indeed for sharing this, love the helmet with the decal.

Here's a pic of me from last week on a slightly more modern British bike, riding through Monument Valley.

Cheerio and thanks again JT,

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4844.jpg (45.7 KB, 75 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 21-04-19, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
Hi JT,

Wonderful..! Many thanks indeed for sharing this, love the helmet with the decal.

Here's a pic of me from last week on a slightly more modern British bike, riding through Monument Valley.

Cheerio and thanks again JT,

Roy
That’s a whole lotta sky there, Roy. I can’t remember if we have sky here anymore in London. It’s full of ‘cheese-graters’ and ‘gherkins’ and ‘walkie-talkies’.

Who took the photo, by the way?

(Watch out for Wile E. Coyote)

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 21-04-19 at 09:46 AM.
Old 21-04-19, 03:36 PM

Desecration Roy! Ape-Hangers on a Triumph?. D.J.
Old 21-04-19, 03:47 PM

Thanks Gents,

My wife took the photo, along with our dog she was driving the Jeep while I rode the 530 miles as we were moving from Colorado to Arizona last week.

As for bars, I had apes on my Bonnie back in the 80's, so nothing new for me.

The bike ran flawlessly, these new Triumphs are superb, I don't think I have ever enjoyed a bike more. Besides I love to 'fly the flag' here in the US.. I have been shocked at how many older gents have come up to me relating their love of British bikes here in the US during their youth in the 60's and 70's.

Cheers,

Roy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4856.jpg (91.7 KB, 25 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com

Tags
bletchley park, dispatch rider, motorcycle