British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-01-15, 10:48 PM

Default official duties?

What period and what were they used for please
Are they common or scarce?
thanks gents
JonWP_20150123_003.jpg

WP_20150123_004.jpg
Old 23-01-15, 10:50 PM

Default USA/CANADA

What are these? Not Eagle squadrons.
Are they original WW2?
Scarce? Common?WP_20150123_001.jpg

WP_20150123_002.jpg
Old 23-01-15, 11:38 PM

Those are shoulder titles (CANADA\USA) for americans enlisted in the RCAF during WW2, and were on the canadian market 20 years ago. One Montreal guy flooded the market with those and they used to be sold for about $10.00 to $20.00 a pair, (depending on the seller...) now....dealers stuck with this stuff can't give them away...

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 24-01-15, 01:56 AM

Jon, the "Official Duties" titles are a little scarce now, but were worn on civilian attire early in the war by those with access to RAF facilities, prior to issuance of uniform or official passes, or so I've been told over the years. Many women who were not WAAFs wore these, such as typists and other civilian clerical staff. I have several sets also, some cut, some unissued and joined at the center.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 24-01-15, 10:05 AM
Banned

To be more specific on the Canada/USA titles, Yanks in the RCAF wore 'USA' when based in Canada, but added the Canada when based outside Canadian borders. Thus, these are other ranks patches worn by Americans in the RCAF, serving outside Canada. As mentioned, pretty common now, worth £5 to £10 max.

The 'Official Duties' badges were introduced at the end of the war for people like scientists who were given honorary RAF rank and access to places around Europe and the Far East. They were worn on the shoulder straps of uniform and gave the wearer access to places as they were on 'official duties'. Like the others loads have surfaced in recent years and as such you can barely give them away.

They were getting £30.00 plus, partly under the myth they were worn pre uniform by WAAFs but that is untrue. I have a very nice hand made one, but 99.9% of those you see are mint and often still uncut. I bought three sets a couple of years ago on ebay for a fiver each but they dont sell.
Old 24-01-15, 02:37 PM

Thanks for the J2 gentlemen.
The official duties pieces are lovely.
Have a good weekend
Jon
Old 24-01-15, 05:35 PM

There's a set of them here for £8 each. They're described as being worn by "Chaplain's Assistants."
Old 24-01-15, 05:44 PM
Banned

They were supposedly worn post war by female Chaplain's Assistants on the No,2 dress raincoat and greatcoat shoulders, and on N0. 1 dress shoulders.
Old 24-01-15, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the info on the official duties badges. Apparently I feel victim to the myth also. Learn something new every day!