British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-01-15, 11:28 AM

Default FC and AT brevets

Hi there guys

With the new brevet, WSO introduced in the RAF, are the FC and AT brevets included under this category or are they quite separate?

Kind regards

Doug
Old 19-01-15, 01:14 PM

AP 1358 Chap7.

Navigator. The letter 'N' of drab silk surrounded by a laurel leaf of brown silk with an outspread drab silk wing 2½" (6.35 cm) long – on dark blue melton cloth.

Air Electronics Officer ]
or Operator (AE) ] As for Navigator, but with alternative letters, in brackets. (See Note)
Air Engineer (E) ]
Air Loadmaster (LM) ]

Note. With effect 1 Apr 03 the range of 5 aircrew brevets for rear crew personnel were replaced by the single rear crew brevet (see below).
Those aircrew who were already qualified to wear old style individual brevets can opt to wear the new brevet or retain the old style but there will be no further provisioning of the current brevet.

Rear Aircrew Brevet. The monogram ‘RAF’ in drab silk surrounded by a laurel leaf of brown silk, surmounted by a crown with an outspread drab silk wing 2½" (6.35 cm) long – on dark blue Melton cloth. Introduced 1 Apr 03 to replace Navigator, Air Electronics Officer/Operator, Air Engineer and Air Loadmaster. (See Note Above).

There may of course have been an amendment since 2003.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 19-01-15 at 08:23 PM.
Old 19-01-15, 06:06 PM
Banned

Interesting that the five it replaces do not include the FC (Fighter Controller) and AT (Airborne Technician)!!
Old 19-01-15, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS1 View Post
Interesting that the five it replaces do not include the FC (Fighter Controller) and AT (Airborne Technician)!!
That is right, they are still listed as separate badges.

Marc
Old 19-01-15, 08:09 PM
Banned

So the piece above is irrelevant to the original query?
Old 23-01-15, 05:20 AM

I am unsure if the 'AT' & 'FC' are still worn in the RAF, though I think the FC still might be.

Here is a paragraph from a book I am writing on New Zealand, Australia and United Kingdom aircrew wings & brevets and flying badges, my main collecting interest.

The introduction of Fighter Controller (FC) and Airborne Technician (AT) added a new dimension towards the end of the 20th century. Mission Crew, as they are known, are ground crew whose trade is mission related and has both an airborne and ground component. Those tasked with flying duties complete an aircrew course and are awarded a brevet to indicate their airborne status (Technically this is a flying badge not a brevet as mission crew are not aircrew). Upon completion of their tour of duty with a flying unit they return to their ground units.'

I may need to amend this as 'AT' is not mission role, but was more of a technician role

Due to the fact that they are not aircrew, as their role is a ground role performed in the air, these trades retained their flying badges (FC & AT) and therefore didn't change to the 'RAF' aircrew brevet.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Gareth
Old 23-01-15, 10:03 AM

Default FC and AT brevets

Thanks Gareth - when is your book due for publication?

Regards

Doug
Old 23-01-15, 11:51 AM

No worries Doug.
Unfortunately the book is a long term project and no sure whether it was ever be published as an actual book.
I have however finished the drafts of the RAF, AAC, FAA and RNZAF
If you are interested in looking over any of them just send me a PM.
Cheers
Gareth