British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-01-12, 11:33 AM

Default TELECOM-CABLE & WIRELESS

I was the only bidder on this one but got sniped in the last seconds. (Hope it was a forum member who won)
Can anyone tell me about this badge/unit? It was described as "TELECOM" A Cable & Wireless uniformed unit similar to the War Correspondents made up of civilian members of Cable & Wireless circ 1944

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Last edited by engr9266; 27-01-13 at 10:09 AM.
Old 24-01-12, 12:24 PM

Default Telecom-Cable & Wireless

Hi,

A number of these silver badges have appeared on ebay over the last few weeks. Either an old supply has been found or they are good copies.

The commercial company 'Cable & Wireless' provided the 'wireless' and undersea 'cables' internatinally prior to the 1939-45 war. They were therefore essential in providing communications to the Allied nations, cable being hard to intercept.

At times their employees were found in the Lines of Communications and accordingly wore uniform, albeit as non-combatants in operational theatres.

The full story of this company can be found in 'The Thin Red Lines', by Charles Graves, published 1946.

Incidentally, Graves wrote a number of wartime, and postwar books on the RAF, Royal Armoured Corps, the first history of the Home Guard, 'Women in Green' about the WVS, together with his autobiographical books on life in wartime London, all of which are interesting reads. Many were produced for their propaganda effect, but by taking anonymous interviews and making them into semi-fiction he managed to add realism. Many of his books are under-rated today and, with the exception of the HG book, are usually cheap.

Stephen.
Old 24-01-12, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
I was the only bidder on this one but got sniped in the last seconds. (Hope it was a forum member who won)
Can anyone tell me about this badge/unit? It was described as "TELECOM" A Cable & Wireless uniformed unit similar to the War Correspondents made up of civilian members of Cable & Wireless circ 1944
From the Cable & Wireless history:

In 1939 German-owned cables across the Atlantic were cut once again, and in 1940 Italian cables to South America and Spain were cut in retaliation for Italian action against two of the five British cables linking Gibraltar and Malta. Electra House, the company's head office and central cable station, was damaged by German bombing in 1941. However, the company made a considerable contribution to the Allied war effort, supplying, for instance, the wireless equipment with which the North African campaign was conducted in 1942, and sending staff, in army uniforms marked with Telcon flashes, into several campaigns, starting in Italy in 1943.
Old 24-01-12, 05:29 PM

There is a brief history of TELCOM on page 391-392 of The Royal Corps of Signals - Unit Histories of the Corps 1920 2001 and its Antecedents by Cliff Lord and Graham Watson. There are a few more badges descibed in there and why they were made. I will scan some pix tonight of the four TELCOM badges, and titles I have and the pages if no one beats me to it. Also a good book about the Australian and New Zealand sections of TELCOM that served in the Far East and will give the details of that book. Time for work now.
Quicksilver
Old 24-01-12, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the responce so far. Quicksilver, I look forward to the pictures etc

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 25-01-12, 06:51 AM

Other books on the same subject are:

East of Colombo 1945=1949: a record of the Cable and Wireless Ltd Australasian Telegraph Operator Classes of '44 and the TELCOM Teams in which they served. 164 pages - excellent privately published A4 work.

also

Martin, H.H., Cable and Wireless Ltd Mobile Wireless in the Far East 1944-1946, Private circulation 1984. I have not seen this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0135.jpg (68.4 KB, 82 views)
Old 25-01-12, 07:01 AM

Had problems getting more than one pix on the message. Here some more pix (I hope).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0136.jpg (61.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg scan0137.jpg (96.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg scan0139.jpg (98.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg scan0140.jpg (98.4 KB, 33 views)
Old 25-01-12, 07:03 AM

last pix. The headdress badge is in an antique silver style.
Quicksilver
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0138.jpg (56.6 KB, 64 views)
Old 25-01-12, 07:08 AM

After all that messing about with the pix I forgot to mention that the gilt badge was for civilian use with the workers number on the back of the crescent holder. The other three were worn in the Far East. Other than the cap badge I dont know what was worn in Europe and North Africa.
Quicksilver
Old 25-01-12, 08:26 AM

The original Electra House of Cable and wireless, at the corner of Moorgate and London Wall in the City of London. Bombed during the blitz of WW2. How well I remember it, and the uniformed messengers who would call at offices in the City to collect cables for transmission.........thanks for bringing back memories of the 1940's.

Regards,

johnG
Old 25-01-12, 09:54 AM

Default TELECOM

HI,have a spare if you are interested Had 3 sold 1 bosleys 26/1/11 £66.00 After commission l received approx £52
Old 25-01-12, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
HI,have a spare if you are interested Had 3 sold 1 bosleys 26/1/11 £66.00 After commission l received approx £52
PM sent

JERRY
Old 25-01-12, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnG View Post
The original Electra House of Cable and wireless, at the corner of Moorgate and London Wall in the City of London. Bombed during the blitz of WW2. How well I remember it, and the uniformed messengers who would call at offices in the City to collect cables for transmission.........thanks for bringing back memories of the 1940's.

Regards,

johnG
John, there were several Electra Houses. The Company I work for now occupies 4 Temple Place opposite Temple Tube Station. It was Electra House "Junior" (EH) occupied by Cable and Wireless from 1929 until the 1990s when the original building was demolished and a new office building replaced it. Over the front entrance we still have the large bronze statues of Mercury and Hermes (messengers of the gods) which came from the original C&W building. During WW2 Diplomatic Telegrams routed through EH were intercepted and read!

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 25-01-12 at 11:25 AM.
Old 26-01-12, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
PM sent
Thanks David, Payment on the way
Jerry.

JERRY
Old 26-01-12, 12:30 PM

Hi Tim, Yes indeed I do remember Electra House moving to the Embankment, and your mention of The Temple.......I was in the gardens when the Inns of Court received new Colours there; that must have been in 1954. My God, how this forum brings back memories.

Kind regards,

John