British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-03-11, 01:13 AM

Default Law and Order Crime blog

Would it be possible to have a single police/prisons/crime thread? I know there are many out there already on different websites, but to be part of this group would be great. You could involve anything and everything to do with this well established badge theme now. Anyone else agree??
Old 07-03-11, 09:50 AM
Administrator

yep, fire away in this section:

Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

is that ok/what you want?
Old 07-03-11, 10:45 AM
Banned

I thought that this was a Military badge forum

Why don't you blokes try these sites instead:

http://prisonofficer.org.uk

http://www.pica.co.uk/

Now, back under the stairs with you and lets do what we do best on here, MILITARY and associated badges.

Last edited by Charlie585; 07-03-11 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-03-11, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Quote:
I thought that this was a Military badge forum
Well it is but there is a strong connection with the military and police/HMP as a prominent vocation for ex military, thus the inclusion of their badges, although in their own subsection.
Old 07-03-11, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Well it is but there is a strong connection with the military and police/HMP as a prominent vocation for ex military, thus the inclusion of their badges, although in their own subsection.
Granted Mike,

In the same way as Nazi badges have a strong connection but I choose not to associate myself with these either.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm off.

Ry
Old 07-03-11, 11:40 AM
Administrator

well I'm not 100% sure what the OP is after, if its police/HMP badge related then this tread ends up in the section linked in post 2, if its not badge related then it ends up in "off topic"

simples
Old 07-03-11, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Granted Mike,

In the same way as Nazi badges have a strong connection but I choose not to associate myself with these either.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm off.

Ry

Well some do have an interest in both, therefore a section for that too: Foreign Insignia. There is probably enough with an interest in German insignia on here to answer 95% of queries. I suppose the idea is that if we don't have these sub-sections, we will get the subject matter posted in the main Commonwealth badge sections. There are two ways to design and run a forum; we have some flexibility and cater for these related topics, or we moderate with an iron hand deleting everything that's not a nice precise fit. We could have gone either way. We have the flexible option.
I find the Prison insignia threads most interesting, and also help myself avoid confusing Miitary with HMP.
Old 07-03-11, 03:50 PM

Couple of thoughts:

Bosleys and other military auctioneers often have police,prison service,merchant navy and other uniformed service insignia in their auctions.

Secondly, I have books on railway badges and buttons,hunt buttons etc, not because I have an interest in them but sometimes they can be used to identify unknown items.

I have used the Forum in the past to identify German items ( again not because I have an interest in them ) but the amount of knowledge here is incredible.

I am sorry if having a new section means members might decide to leave and I sincerely hope Charlie 585 will reconsider.

One thing that annoys me on the GWF is when somebody posts a thread that, whilst not WW1 related, could be answered by the members there,and a moderator jumps in and says "off topic" and removes the thread. I like to think we are a little more relaxed here.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 07-03-11, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I think it is quite appropriate to include HMP. Many soldiers ended up in the army rather than become a guest of Her Majesty, others ended up on the inside looking out after leaving the army, and of course most of us here would like to see a few of the dodgier characters in the badge business behind bars. All bases covered!

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 07-03-11 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-03-11, 04:25 PM

I have been a member of this forum since 2007 .I've posted a number of times on both military and prison related issues and am more then satisfied with the scope we have in dealing with civilian,prison and other badges.
It has never been an issue before why should it become an issue now ?In the poll held recently the vast majority of us showed we are adult men,lets act as such and stop behaving like children by throwing the dolly out of the pram because they can't have they own way.
Bantam
Old 07-03-11, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
I think it is quite appropriate to include HMP. Many soldiers ended up in the army rather than become a guest of Her Majesty, others ended up on inside looking out after leaving the army, and of course most of us here would like to see a few of the dodgier characters in the badge business behind bars. All bases covered!

Phil
Thank you Philip that statment is so true.
Regards
Bantam
Old 07-03-11, 04:27 PM

Default Law and Order

I find this thread very interesting as I am a relatively new comer to the Forum and originally was drawn here to help identify a cloth shoulder badge that was in my father in laws items. He served in WW 2 for Canada in the RCA.

My background is not military but the RCMP, having served 33 years. The role of the RCMP in WW 2 is well documented and I do not need to go into it. The RCMP were the RNWMP prior to 1920 and their role in the CEF is also documented and no need to go into it any further.

So I guess my point is this. My father in law served in WW 2 with the RCA, my father was in WW 2 in the RCN and my wifes grandfather served in both WW 2 and WW 1 for Canada. I was fortunate enough to acquired all the medals and other military badges associated with their service from these 3 men. They served their country during times of need, as well as my own service with the RCMP which has a long history with the military of Canada, I feel there is a place in this Forum for police related items, specifically the NWMP, RNWMP and the RCMP.

The expertise on this Forum, for newbies like me, is second to none. I have asked numerous members questions regarding my small collection and have got excellent answers from the members of this Forum. In hindsight, I should have asked my father/father in law the questions prior to their passing, but you know what they say about hindsight.

I will continue to add to my growing collection and look forward to read and learn from the Gurus on this Forum.

Again this is only my opinion.

Jack
Old 07-03-11, 05:25 PM

Perhaps another consideration is that Mike owns and operates the forum. We all enjoy it and perhaps we owe it to Mike to respect how he wishes to moderate it, and what he wishes to include on it.

Phil
Old 07-03-11, 06:23 PM

I welcome a section for police and prision badges, how many times has someone ask for idenification of a badge to be told its police related, adding police and prison collectors on this forum can only benifit us...... bring them on board Mike.

Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 07-03-11, 06:33 PM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Granted Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm off.

Ry
Blimey Ry,

Talk about a role reversal, you've got absolutely no chance of having stronger elastic on your dummy than I have on mine and I can't be bothered to troll all the messages supporting me when I left to find what you said but it must have been along the same lines as Andy's, in as much as " get your 'arris back on here "..........

Dave.

PS, I could be bothered, just change our names and the sentiments are the same, here's what you said when Peter J mentioned me........

[ Well said Peter, I’m in agreement with all the sentiment shared on this thread.

We all know Dave to be a man of principle who is unashamed to admit his own weaknesses when he feels it necessary. At the end of the day ”a man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do” and if making a principled stand is what he feels necessary in this instance then I take my hat off to him.

Dave, ( Ry )CB hit the nail on the head when he stated that the forum will be “diminished” by your absence.

I’m sure that I share the opinion of the majority when I say the door will always be open to you Dave ( Ry ) should you decide that you can’t keep away.

Whatever you decide Dave ( Ry ) you’ll always be among friends here regardless of “The dark side”!

A personal thank you for your gracious help and support mate ( I have edited your Xmas wishes ). I sincerely hope to see you on the forum again.

Ry ] end quote....

DC.

Last edited by davec2; 07-03-11 at 06:40 PM. Reason: PS