British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-08-21, 05:49 PM

Default 1432 Sqn ATC Location?

I have received a squadron identifier patch for 1432 Sqn Air Training Corps today. Can anyone tell me where this Sqn was based? I have tried Googling it with no avail as it's not one of the current ones.

Thanks, Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210816_144218.jpg (32.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 17-08-21, 07:59 PM

Post '72 dark blue backing on RAF badges. ATC used battledress until around 1978. I first saw this type on having to sow number and ATC title on newly issued rain coats- I would guess this type of badge started issue late 70s early 80s- before that the brassards we had had the blue grey background to squadron number. I never saw a blue grey brassard size ATC title badge so I guess that was a post '72 badge.
I wonder how many Squadrons there once were and how many have ceased to be. Dave may know. Regards, Paul.
Old 17-08-21, 09:29 PM

No. 1432 (Bude) Squadron, formed 1st May 1941 as part of the Plymouth and Cornwall Wing. It absorbed 'No. 514 (Clifton College) Squadron' on 2nd May 1944.

It was originally based in a local drill hall it was later based at Bude County Grammar School up to the early 1970s (although it wasn't a school squadron). At some point it was also known as 'No. 1432 (Bude/Stratton) Squadron'.

Later downgraded to a Detached Flight and renamed 'No. 326 (Bude Detached Flight)' in the late 1980s but since disbanded (date unknown).
Old 17-08-21, 09:34 PM

Quote:
I wonder how many Squadrons there once were and how many have ceased to be. Dave may know. Regards, Paul.
There have been about 2200 numbered ATC Squadrons although some lasted only months, or in name only, having never got off the ground properly. Many ceased to be in the late 1940s after the Corps original purpose (pre-training for the wartime RAF and FAA) had gone, with many becoming CCF RAF Sections. Still more have disbanded in the last Covid year to 18 months.

There are around 1200 active Squadrons at the moment.
Old 17-08-21, 09:44 PM

Sorry - duplicate post
Old 17-08-21, 10:41 PM

Thanks Padre. Do you have any info. on 2424 (Langley) Sqn? I find mention of them online but they don't seem to be listed for Thames Valley Wing. Regards, Paul.
Old 18-08-21, 09:55 AM

Pleasure.

No. 2424 (Langley) Squadron were formed on the 11th February 1965 in the Oxford and Buckinghamshire Wing, and were still active in 2017 but have since disbanded, exact date unknown.
Old 18-08-21, 11:45 PM

Thanks for the information, that helps a lot.

Wow, there was a huge amount of Sqn around at one time. I have about 300 identifiers so obviously a long way to go to collect them all

Thanks again, Bill
Old 19-08-21, 12:16 PM

I have pretty much all of the 2200 or so. There are large blocks of numbers never allocated, Squadron amalgamations (even during the war), very short lived Squadrons (a year or less) and also a number that even Air Cadet HQ have no title for, even though they may have a date of formation or disbandment! Its a minefield.
Old 19-08-21, 10:03 PM

Thanks Padre. I remember cold Winter nights in the late 70s early 80s when my Squadron struggled to have double figures on parade. Is anything known regards cadet numbers- average per Squadron etc? Not sure what the rules were that caused a Squadron to become a detached flight. Regards, Paul.
Old 20-08-21, 04:19 PM

When the ATC was first formed pretty much all of the old Air Defence Cadet Corps Squadrons transferred over (207 of them) and most had a good number of Cadets. Squadrons starting from scratch were allocated a number but were known as 'Flights' until they reached 50 Cadets on the roll, after which their title changed from 'Flight' to 'Squadron'.

I'm not sure what the situation is now with regards Detached Flights. It might be the same over a period of time, for example less than 50 cadets on the roll for more than 3 years. I know Squadron's have suffered because of Covid and a number have closed over the last year to 18 months. I assume the older cadets have moved on, and not meeting face to face the Squadrons have not had the opportunity to recruit new ones.

I'm not sure about averages. Like all units you have a number on Roll and then the number who regularly actually turn up! I'd imagine 25 to 35 would be an average.
Old 20-08-21, 05:18 PM

Thanks Padre. Regards, Paul.