British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-10-09, 12:08 PM

Hi, can anyone tell me a bit about the badges below?

I know the two top badges are the blue ensign badges of either the War Department Fleet, RASC Fleet, RCT Fleet, 20 Maritime regt RCT or 17 Port & Maritime Regt RLC. But which one do they belong to and does anyone know the history of theses units?

The Bottom one I've heard described as either an Ocean Watchkeepers badge or an Ocean Navigators badge, which one is correct? and what does the person have to do to gain it, who wears it onboard?

Hopefully someone knows?

Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RLC RCT RASC WD Fleet.jpg (50.5 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 07-12-09 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-10-09, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Top left is a modern one and still worn by 17 Port and Maritime Regt today. The other units are their forerunners and wore the same design. I suspect that your other one is RCT or earlier RASC.
Old 02-10-09, 12:46 PM

Bottom one is an Officers and Warrant Officers Marine Engineers Qualification badge, worn on the left sleeve.

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 02-10-09, 01:16 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Tony, I have a canvas one in my collection of pictures listed as 10th Port Unit
RCT Cyprus. Other than being canvas it is identical to yours. Ray

Last edited by boots and saddles; 02-10-09 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-10-09, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
Tony, I have a canvas one in my collection of pictures listef as 10th Port Unit
RCT Cyprus. Other than being canvas it is identical to yours. Ray
Mmmm interesting, got any individual pictures of it? would be great to see!

I remember this unit from an exercise I did in Cyprus when I was in the Army, was violently seasick in their landing craft!, Bit suprising for someone who would then go on to serve 8 years at sea in the Royal Navy, 6 in the Royal Fleet Auxiliary and 2 in the Merchant Navy!!
Old 02-10-09, 04:18 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Default For Sailorbear

There you are. the 10th Port Unit, RCT, Cyrpus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10th port unitRCT cyprus.jpg (11.1 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by boots and saddles; 02-10-09 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 07:04 PM

[QUOTE=boots and saddles;48455]There you are. the 10th Port Unit, RCT, Cyrpus.[/QUOTE

mmm interesting, thanks for that.

regards Tony
Old 06-10-09, 07:43 PM

Default W.D. FLEET/RASC/RCT FLEET/RCT/RLC Maritime Regiment

Hi,

Does anyone know the history of the various army fleets and the insignia they wore?

I've read an article in Sea Breezes magazine about a chap who served in the War Department Fleet shortly after WW2. I know they wore navy blue battledress with round sailors caps with a cap tally bearing the words W.D. FLEET. I have also seen an image of a shoulder title bearing the words W.D. FLEET R.A.S.C. and also a cap tally bearing RCT FLEET.

Does anyone know when the W.D. Fleet became the RASC Fleet and later the RCT Fleet before developing into 20 Maritime Regiment RCT? Were they still civilian employees when it was the RCT Fleet or did soldiers wear sailors caps? I know that as 20 Maritime Regiment RCT and 17 Port and Maritime Regiment RLC that sea going soldiers wore naval number 8 action working dress. What insignia did they wear at various times in their history and does anyone have any images of the badges or photos of them being worn?

Regards,
Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (11.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg R.C.T. FLEET..JPG (15.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-10-09, 10:33 PM

Tony

I don't have any answers to your questions but what I do have is a shoulder badge of the WD Fleet RASC that I picked up a few weeks ago along with some RN badges. I have attached a picture of the front and back for you.

Paddy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN5937.jpg (58.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN5938.jpg (60.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-10-09, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
Tony

I don't have any answers to your questions but what I do have is a shoulder badge of the WD Fleet RASC that I picked up a few weeks ago along with some RN badges. I have attached a picture of the front and back for you.

Paddy
Ha, so you're the one who out bid me!! think you done well there and got some really great badges (did you bid on all the lots or just the one?) I decided not to bid as the WD fleet badge was the only one I was really interested in and the price was going to high for the sake od one badge! If you ever want to sell it PM me?

Regards Tony
Old 07-10-09, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know the history of the various army fleets and the insignia they wore?

I've read an article in Sea Breezes magazine about a chap who served in the War Department Fleet shortly after WW2. I know they wore navy blue battledress with round sailors caps with a cap tally bearing the words W.D. FLEET. I have also seen an image of a shoulder title bearing the words W.D. FLEET R.A.S.C. and also a cap tally bearing RCT FLEET.

Does anyone know when the W.D. Fleet became the RASC Fleet and later the RCT Fleet before developing into 20 Maritime Regiment RCT? Were they still civilian employees when it was the RCT Fleet or did soldiers wear sailors caps? I know that as 20 Maritime Regiment RCT and 17 Port and Maritime Regiment RLC that sea going soldiers wore naval number 8 action working dress. What insignia did they wear at various times in their history and does anyone have any images of the badges or photos of them being worn?

Regards,
Tony
Hi Tony,
The War Department Fleet Cap Badge.W D beneath a Victoria Crown in 1890 in Bullion.It changed to Imperial Crown in1901 and worn up to 1945.Variations exist however of W.D.F and W.D. around the anchor.The R.A.S.C. Fleet Badge .Bullion Imperial Crown within Wreath worn 1945-1953 sealed 3rd March 1945.
On Succession of Queen Elizabeth 11 a St Edwards Crown was adopted sealed 9th March 1954.
On formation of R.C.T.Fleet The lettering was dropped sealed 11th June 1965.
Regards
Bantam
Old 07-10-09, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantam View Post
Hi Tony,
The War Department Fleet Cap Badge.W D beneath a Victoria Crown in 1890 in Bullion.It changed to Imperial Crown in1901 and worn up to 1945.Variations exist however of W.D.F and W.D. around the anchor.The R.A.S.C. Fleet Badge .Bullion Imperial Crown within Wreath worn 1945-1953 sealed 3rd March 1945.
On Succession of Queen Elizabeth 11 a St Edwards Crown was adopted sealed 9th March 1954.
On formation of R.C.T.Fleet The lettering was dropped sealed 11th June 1965.
Regards
Bantam
Thats really great and very interesting thanks, do you know of anywhere I can get images of theses badges?

Regards Tony
Old 07-10-09, 11:23 AM

Default WD FLEET

This link will give you a small history of the WD Fleet in Portsmouth.
http://www.memorials.inportsmouth.co...m-gunwharf.htm

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 07-10-09, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Thats really great and very interesting thanks, do you know of anywhere I can get images of theses badges?

Regards Tony
Hi Tony,
Would recommend reading Badges and Insignia of The Royal Army Service Corps,Royal Corps of Transport and Their Predecessors by David M Kellock and Michael C McHenry.
Lots of illustrations and history of the Corps.
I have included some of my collection.The K/C Fleet R.A.S.C. was the one actually photographed from Kipling and King and bought at Bosley's.
Regards
Bantam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RASC KC Fleet.JPG (67.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg fleet 001.jpg (64.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg fleet 002.jpg (59.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg fleet 003.jpg (58.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 07-10-09, 02:59 PM

I recommend buying a copy of The Story of the RASC and RCT 1945-1982 by Brigadier D.J.Sutton OBE, 1st Edition 1984 Roughly £25 - £30.00.