British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-05-11, 11:09 PM

There's a book out about SASRA it's called Sovereign Service by Col Ian Dobbie.

The Soldiers' and Airmans' Scripture Reading Association.

Not my cup of tea, so anyone wanting it can have it for £5.00 Postage free UK (Subsidized to the cost of UK postage Europe £1.40, Can, US, NZ £2.50)

Last edited by tynesideirish; 28-05-11 at 02:29 PM.
Old 27-05-11, 06:57 AM

Peter,

Thanks for the picture,one badge I have never seen before.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 27-05-11, 03:44 PM

The website quoted gives a good intro to SASRA. Readers are given permission to enter barracks by a CO on the recommendation of the Chaplain. This usually admits the Reader to Clubs, NAAFI etc, but may well not include living accommodation, since service pers pay for this, and is therefore private, like a married quarter. Readers usually come from the more "Protestant" end of the spectrum.
The badge, "ASR", is worn in both khaki and blue uniform caps. There is a smaller, brooched badge for Lady Readers, although I have seen it worn by men in a beret. There was an all brass badge, probably an early version, possibly before the RAF came on stream.
The red shoulder titles at a distance can look like a senior (army) officer!
The RN had/have their own Naval Christian Fellowship.
Old 27-05-11, 04:20 PM

Hi revdougal

Can I just clarify that the Naval Christian Fellowship is not an 'official' body but is comprised of ordinary serving and ex-RN members who gather together for meetings. When I was at Portland those on ships or stationed at Portland would usually meet in the RSR.

As this thread seems to have moved onto Badges of Christian based charitable organisations who work in support of HM Forces and others, may I just mention one other. After the Government sadly closed Portland Dockyard and moved Operational Sea Training to Plymouth, I was invited to join the Royal National Mission to Deep Sea Fisherman which I did. This meant a further change of cap badge as they have their own uniform - normal Merchant Navy reefer jackets and trousers with brass buttons on which are the initials RNMDSF.

They also wear peaked MN caps which carries the Fishermens' Missions own distinctive gold wire cap badge a copy of which is attached.

Regards
Peter4447
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MNRNMDSFCB.jpg (64.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 27-05-11, 04:38 PM
Banned

We should also bear in mind that such activity exists in civvy street also. Lay Preachers are non-ordained and assist ordained clergy in their work throughout the country. The main distinction in function (military, naval and civilian) is that they may not administer the sacrements, nor can they offer blessings. As the main activity of the clergy is pastoral care, this is where their services are utilised most. There is always a level of accreditation in these roles so they are not entirely untrained.
Old 27-05-11, 04:48 PM

Sorry, I should have made it clear: members of SASRA are like the Naval Christian Fellowship in their meetings/"get-togethers", in that they are serving members of the Army/RAF - except that there are also the uniformed Scripture Readers, who are accredited.
Old 27-05-11, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynesideirish View Post
There's a book out about SASRA it's called Sovereign Service by Col Ian Dobbie.

The Soldiers' and Airmans' Scripture Reading Association.
Thats the one i have.

More stuff on uniform worn,in No2 dress,no collar badges are worn andthe buttons are the plain Hussar type.The cap isthe Officer service dress type.
Old 28-05-11, 01:34 PM
Former Member

Default Army Scripture Readers

A couple of ASR badges:

*Cloth ST above others
*Bi-metal Cap badge 41 x 35 mm.
*Rear of above showing some "Dave Cutforth" repaired lugs
*Anodised badge again 41 x 35 mm.
*Pin backed/brooched badge 29 x 24 mm. - The ASR who gave me some of the above said this was worn as a collar?

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1665.jpg (75.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1667.jpg (74.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1668.jpg (70.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1670.jpg (96.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1672.jpg (98.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1673.jpg (77.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 28-05-11, 03:42 PM

The small one originally for Lady Readers (no such thing as an ASR collar!), worn on dress/lapel; also as mentioned above, I have seen it worn on a beret by men- when on Ex - which is a bit against the rules as they could get "hurt", and that that causes probs for civilians.
Old 28-05-11, 03:52 PM

This has been a most interesting thread, I have learnt a lot ,and has been what, in my opinion, the Forum should be all about.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 05-06-11, 10:22 PM

We had one when I was in the RAF, exact same shoulder slides but Crabfat blue obviously. He was a nice guy.
Old 06-06-11, 03:43 PM
Banned

There hasnt been much mention of the RAF side of things. In all cases, Scripture Readers have the status of Warrant Officer 1 in the Army (or plain WO in the RAF). The uniform is generally that of the Warrant Officer but worn with an officers cap, with the 'ASR' cap badge worn in both services. Recently they have started wearing camouflage uniform and beret, including the beret of the Regiment or unit they are visiting, or one they wore themselves when in service.

During WW2, those serving with the RAF wore a large shoulder title 'Scripture Reader' in pale blue on dark blue (later on a blue/grey background). The ASR cap badge comes in three sizes, I have the large one (which I have also seen with a horseshoe fitting) the mid sized with pin back or horseshoe fitting for wear on a lapel or blouse, and a small 15mm one, although I kick myself for not getting one of those when I saw it. There is also an ASR stable belt in dark blue with gilt square plate buckle, with the ASR badge on its centre backed with red.

Up to WW2, and generally since, all SRs were ex military. Although the title 'Army Scripture Reader is the official title, 'Air Force Scripture Reader' is one formally applied to those serving with the RAF.

When a 'count' was done in March 1944, 153 SRs were serving with the Army, 46 with the RAF and 5 who worked with both. The Soldiers Christian Association had originally been formed, and this continued during WW1 with the RFC which was part of the Army. However, after the RAF was formed in 1918 a change was sought (which did not happen until 1930) when a new title, 'The Soldiers and Airmens Christian Association' was adopted. This Association was amalgamated on September 29th 1938 with the ASR to become the Army Scripture Readers and Soldiers and Airmens Christian Association.

I have a title in pale blue on red (signifying RAF and Army) with the letters 'A.S.R. & S.A.C.A.' This title was replaced on June 1st 1950 with 'The Soldiers and Airmens Scripture Readers Association'.

Last edited by SAS1; 06-06-11 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-06-11, 04:01 PM

SAS1,
More great stuff, any chance of posting a picture of your "ASR and SACA" title ?

P.B.

Old 06-06-11, 09:29 PM
Banned

There you go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT9801.jpg (59.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-06-11, 10:29 PM

I was at RAF St.Athans in Wales doing my Trade Training in 89 and this guy used to pop up in the NAFFI tea shop around 3ish when we had a break. He'd do chit chat whilst we played pool etc and was a bit of a Sally Army type. I remember him having the same blue rank slides as the blue RAF Regiment type but they just said "Sripture Reader" in black lettering.