British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-08-12, 09:51 PM

Default 18th Hussars Buttons

The attachment shows four buttons to the 18th Hussars. These have been descibed variously as "uniform", "mess dress" and "hunt" on Ebay and in one or two books.
Despite consulting the usual oracles (Parkyn,Ripley and Squire) I can find no satisfactory answer to the question "When and where?".
With no photographic evidence to support the possibility that these are Military, i.e. worn on a recognized and accepted form of uniform I am inclined to the view that they are blazer buttons.
Should any member have proof to the contrary I would be delighted to hear from you.

Best wishes

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18H buttons0001.jpg (31.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 27-08-12, 08:57 AM

Default 18th Hussars Buttons

One PM to date.
Flat buttons are not unknown on uniforms and perhaps I should have posted the attached as a preface to my original question.
Attached are examples of flat, incised buttons which were worn by cavalry regiments,11th Hussars and Royal Hussars, on Service Dress and Blues.
Even today they are worn by the RDG and KRH.
The initial question still stands; does anyone have any proof or even thoughts, as to whether or not the 18th Hussars wore them as well?
If not what did they wear? There are no guidelines in the usual reference books.

Best wishes

Gordon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11th Hussars Buttons.jpg (6.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg RH Buttons.jpg (4.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png RDG Button.PNG (9.0 KB, 34 views)