British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-06-08, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard-ri View Post
Joachim,

Afraid a couple of your badges have a few bricks too many.

Michael
Hi Micheal
Linaker & Dine show a badge with the extra row of bricks which they state is white metal poss a WW1 arm badge, the two brass ones could also be arm badges but i have no proof of these, maybe a Cavalry expert is needed who could help.

Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 02-06-08, 04:19 PM

Malc,
I'm a long way from being an expert on the cavalry, but after collecting and studying the subject of arm badges, there seems to be no evidence of any line regiment, apart from 7DG, wearing their arm badges in brass.
The Inniskillings 1863 pattern arm badge, as you will know by having L&D's book was being worn as late as 1925.
The brass badges you show are very similar to the W/M one, but even this is debatable as an arm badge as Seaman only shows it on the FS helmet.
Also, during WW1 a collar badge was pressed into service on the arm.
I believe that regarding brass NCO arm badges, only 7DG are the exception.
As this is within my collecting field, I would love to be proved wrong, as this would create another arm badge variant for me to look out for - and be able to afford !!
STM.
Old 05-03-09, 03:45 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
Here are my 6th Inniskilling Dragoons Badges, the white metal and the two brass are poss arm badges, the bi metal is the cap badge.
All the windows are voided.

Malc
Joachim,
Ref your brass "cap badge". I have a similar one with a very long slider whose design is definitely based on an armbadge - i.e. it has the ArmB scroll, not the CapB type ; x2 layers of bricks; and the flag itself is actually a pennant; NONE of the openings are punched out, and whats really strange
is that the flag is flying to the left....shades of the Inniskilling Fusiliers
here... I have always assumed that this may very well be a pagri badge that has been "made up" outside of the UK. The slider itself has been folded over and then brazed to just below the central tower.
Absolutely no marks at all of any other fittings at the back.
Its not crisp at all at the rear and the "S" tails on the scroll title are much
flatter than on the armB or capB. The pennant is also at the same height as the armB. Bit of a mystery badge, but I like it.
Old 10-10-09, 02:04 PM

Default 6th Inniskilling Dragoons

I picked up this one up today at the bi-monthly Bangor militaria fair. After being stung with a couple of bad ones, I reckon this one is good. The pointers having been well illustrated on these pages. All the good signs - rows of bricks, sweat holes and voided windows. The lugs have been repaired at some stage - maybe replacing a slider? There is a small patch of silver solder on the rear of the middle tower - perhaps covering up where the stump of a slider may have been? Anyway, I'm convinced it's a good one, and as it's a fairly rare one, I'm more than happy.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Badge collection 001.jpg (52.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Badge collection 002.jpg (54.3 KB, 57 views)
Old 23-05-15, 11:04 AM

Default Inniskilling bronzed-brass

Hi all,

I think from reading this thread this to be a genuine example of a 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons bronzed-brass cap badge with less bricks above the central tower and voided windows and door etc as per K&K 758. Lugged east-west. A keeper I think.

Cheers Dean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7215.jpg (85.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7216.jpg (90.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 23-05-15, 08:04 PM

Default Inniskilling Dragoons

Dean

Attached is an example of a genuine Inniskilling Dragoons officers service dress bronze cap badge. This is a close up of the bronze badge (centre) in the 6th Inniskilling thread I started on the 17/5/15.

Your badge has some issues.

Although it conforms to the standard of the correct rows of bricks, windows etc it's quality is poor. If you look at the windows (especially the left window) you can see that they don't line up properly with the surrounds. The door is the same, with the surround thicker on one side than on the other.

Also there should be blade fittings to the rear not lugs. There should also be a gap between the base of the castle and the top of the scroll.

You must remember that these badge were made for officers and were purchased privately not issued. Therefore you expect genuine examples to be of a certain quality. Your badge to my mind doesn't have that quality.

Sorry but I think your badge is a copy of an original.

Regards

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 24-05-15, 07:46 AM

Smile

Many thanks Bob,

Appreciate the guidance on the finer points. I took a punt whilst in the field and to be honest checking the brickwork was all that I could remember.

Plenty of fish in the ocean, Officers private purchase cavalry badges just harder to catch, cheers Dean.

Tags
6th inniskilling dragoons