British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-12-14, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
As for the book, it has been a frustrating year as I was hoping to have it out last June/July but with doing it privately it has been a slow slog to get it printed and for the last month I've been having problems with the printers. All going well, it'll be out next week and then I'll make it public here. So far the project has been very, very slow and it's taken me many years to get it finished but I think it'll cover just about everything a SA Naval collector could want. After the original plan to put together a little booklet on cap badges and expecting to have no more than 50 or so pictures, the finished book runs to just under 200 pages and over 1300 images!

Hopefully I'll be able to confirm the completion next week, all going well...

Cheers,

Alex
Alex

We must have a chat sometime, need some pointers regards publishing out here, I too have a booklet that needs to get published sometime.

Brian
Old 08-12-14, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hi guys
I also missed this auction. is George English the owner of the collection or the auction house? where can I find a link to the auction?
btw, was there any Australian items?
bc

To answer your questions perhaps a bit more fully, BC..........

George English would have been the owner of the collection, possibly the largest collection ever accumulated or sold off at auction in SA.

I find it hard to attach links to such auctions but it would appear that the auctioneers, Kaplans, are quick to remove auction lists anyway. When I open that link given by rhodesianmilitaria the best that I can find is a list of prices realized which only relate back to item numbers without descriptions. Incidentally, I couldn't help noticing that on their home page they advertise that their next auction is to be held in October 2014

I used a very round about method to find a copy of the Kaplans catalogue with descriptions but no pictures which I can pass on if you are still interested.

Some of the more expensive items from the collection, helmet plates, pouch belt, sabretache, plaid brooch and rare badges were sold separately at an auction conducted the day before by Stephen Welz & Co.

To view these badges you can easily Google Stephen Welz & Co (or get back to me if there are problems), look at their past auctions, go to Tuesday November 25, session one, items 21-109.....pictures and all.

As for Australian badges, unfortunately if there were any listed in the collection they escaped the attention of my old eyes I am afraid.

I Man
Old 08-12-14, 04:53 AM

thanks I man
that response is what I was looking for.
ive tried kaplans but it looks like the auction is down and only prices realised is up. no help to me.
I will look at the other site. thanks very much again
bc
Old 08-12-14, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Alex

We must have a chat sometime, need some pointers regards publishing out here, I too have a booklet that needs to get published sometime.

Brian
Anytime!
Old 08-12-14, 06:05 AM

I'm sure there is somebody with a copy of the auction list who can e-mail it to you if you're interested. I unfortunately only downloaded it onto my work computer (yes - working very hard ) but I'm on leave for the next couple of weeks so I don't have a copy handy. If you haven't sourced a copy by then I'd be happy to mail it to anyone who is interested but You'll have to send me your e-mail addresses prior to then because I work on a ship and access to the forum is blocked there.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 08-12-14, 06:48 PM

Alex

Here is my SWA 1st Inf Battalion badge.(ex George English collection)

Not that common.

Interesting unit, never saw action as a Regtiment sadly. All its members were absorbed into the the South African units serving "Up North" to make up for numbers lost in the early battles of the North African and East African campaigns.

The unit history makes interesting reading and is a rare book in itself.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5077.jpg (63.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF5078.jpg (60.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-12-14, 05:39 AM

Hi Brian
Another nice badge, thanks for showing it.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 09-12-14, 08:28 AM

Hello Brian,
Does South Africa not have law in place to make that unlawful?
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Frank...he has had some great stuff in the past but you are never quite sure what goes on during OR after the auction. I had won a medal on a recent auction via a mate who sat in during the auction. It had overnight mysteriously "never arrived from the vendor" what a joke...how could it have been bidded on at the auction the day before or even get written up in the catalogue? Hence my feelings

Brian
Old 09-12-14, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello Brian,
Does South Africa not have law in place to make that unlawful?
Regards Frank
LOL. What laws?
Old 09-12-14, 08:39 AM

Peter,

You are lucky - Try living in the UK - we have laws for everything.
You cant fart without getting a ticket!

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 09-12-14, 08:53 AM
Banned

I was in the UK for a year many moons ago, it must have been when there were less laws.
Old 09-12-14, 09:22 AM

Hello Peter,
That is what I was asking Brian, I would have thought that sort of thing would be unlawful.
Of course, as I am sure you are well aware, this saleroom is rather unusual in many ways.
Regards Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
LOL. What laws?
Old 09-12-14, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Hello Peter,
That is what I was asking Brian, I would have thought that sort of thing would be unlawful.
Of course, as I am sure you are well aware, this saleroom is rather unusual in many ways.
Regards Frank
Frank

To be 100% honest ...unless you are there on the night of the auction, I will not bother anymore! I am still due a few badges I bought 10 odd years back, just laughed it off. With that said I have bought 2 very nice medal groups when his website was functional, a MM and later a MC group. That site did work well, sadly I know the chap that ran it has since passed on.

Regards
Brian
Old 09-12-14, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Peter,

You are lucky - Try living in the UK - we have laws for everything.
You cant fart without getting a ticket!

regards
Simon

Yes, we noticed that when we were there in 2006, cameras everywhere. Touring by car I had to be very careful where I parked, did not realise there was limited allocated parking in the streets, with hefty fines if you dared park in another persons parking.

Brian
Old 09-12-14, 12:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hello Peter,
Regards Frank
Oh I can't be bothered wasting my time writing about Kaplan again, he's such an untrustworthy lying bastard. Hopefully I'll meet him one day.