British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-12, 01:26 AM

Default Type 2 Jump wings

Using "Into the Maelstrom" as my reference, I believe this is an original type 2 wing but could use some feedback to confirm my assessment.

Old 01-05-12, 04:43 PM

I realize that these badges can be tricky but this variation is different enough that I thought it was a no brainer but with the lack of feedback I'm beginning to wonder. Surely there are some collectors who are comfortable enough with these wings to provide an opinion....
Old 01-05-12, 07:52 PM

I've never seen a copy of "Into the Maelstrom" to look through but I've always thought that this particular Canadian paratrooper wing with the loose rear cheese cloth backing material was post war.
Old 01-05-12, 09:36 PM

Well this is part of the reason for my posting this here. In the reference it only shows the front of the badge but does mention that the badge has a white mesh cotton backing material that is typical of badges made in the US during the war. However, the front of my badge and the badge in the book are identical so I guess I can say I'm 50% certain that it's correct.
Old 03-05-12, 03:24 AM

Since your Canadian paratrooper wing is identical to the one in the book "Into the Maelstrom" I could be wrong about this being a post war piece. While looking at your wing I noticed that it is made sort of like a US ranger scroll (see scans). The rear mesh looks very similar and embroidered on a felt like material. One of these scrolls is an original WW2 4th Ranger Battalion scroll while the other (lighter black color almost dark gray) is considered by some to have been made post war by an insignia company called Patch King.

4th Fake.jpg

4th Fake1.jpg

4th Real.jpg

4th Real1.jpg
Old 03-05-12, 05:14 AM

The author of the reference confirmed on another forum that my wings are indeed the same as those in his book. However, while he is comfortable that they were made in the US during the war he doesn't have all the details that he would like.