British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran, Lapel Badges and Challenge Coins

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-07-09, 01:29 PM

Default 1st Surrey Rifles (21st County of London)

Sorry about the photo quality.
I recently obtained this brooch and as its not my collecting interest I am thinking of putting it in the Sales thread but before I do - is it genuine?
I ask this because the Battle Honour in the top of the cross reads S.Africa 1900-03 and not 02.
The scroll beneath the crown reads 'Concordia Vict Rex' and the date in the bottom arm of the Cross is 1803.
Peter
PS - Have just noticed I put this in the Canadian section and not the British Section if a Mod is handy could they move it for me please - Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s 003.jpg (37.5 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by peter4447; 04-07-09 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-07-09, 03:19 PM

Not only the date is wrong according to Kings, my other ref's don’t go into Officers badges so I don’t really know if it’s a later officers badge,
I believe this badge was discontinued around 1935 when the regt. became engineers and later on nine mile snipers. In 1945 the badge returned for a while although they were still artillery.
K & Kings vol 1.
21st County of London Battalion (First Surrey Riffles)
A cross as in the Order of the Bath, on toparm of which is inscribed South Africa 1900-2 and on the bottom arm the date 1803 (this being the date of the formation of the first Surrey Volunteers). Above the cross a scroll inscribed Concordia Victrix surmounted by the Imperial Crown. On the cross a circlet inscribed First Surrey Rifles with, in the centre a strung bugle.
Below the cross a scroll inscribed 21st County of London.
In blackened-brass. Officers in silver-plate or blackened white-metal with the high-points polished.
Still it could be a private purchase officer's badge, they sometime had mistakes on them.
Not much help sorry,
WF
Old 04-07-09, 04:26 PM

Thanks for that WF.
As I mentioned this is a brooch not an actual badge. The badge, as you have explained has 1900-02 so it looks like whoever made this brooch may have got confused with the 1803 when they put 1900-03.
Kind regards
Peter
Old 04-07-09, 04:48 PM
Former Member

It is probably OK, made as a sweetheart type brooch, there is often a little "Artistic Impression" in these badges. I cannot see anyone going to so much trouble (as this looks a very well made brooch) to fake something to sell as an original with such blatant errors?

I doubt if anyone would even realise as these were made for wear as a representation of a loved ones Regimental Badge.

London Regt Sweethearts I believe are very collectable, get it on ebay I'm sure you'll get a decent price for it!

This one below is SUPERB!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG8642.jpg (72.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-07-09, 06:02 PM

Thanks Andy.
I'm not much of a one for selling on E-Bay so I've put it on the Forum Sales/Wanted, in case one of the members might like to give it a good home!
Peter
Old 04-07-09, 06:03 PM

Yes peter, after engaging brain, putting glasses on and then reading properly, I realized that I'd gone-off half cocked thinking it as an actual badge made into a brooch, which I believe was the more common type of sweetheart brooch.

Andy in correct what he says about the sweetheart brooches, they can be very collectable and veritable works of art,

Regards
WF