British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-06-12, 03:37 PM

Talking 1st Special Service Force / Black Devil patch, and interview with the vet!! Help?

Hi all,

Just came back from an interview with a 93 year old Black Devil vet, one of 17 left in Canada. I had the honor of talking to him and he was very energetic, and had some excellent stories. I took photos and records of everything and am currently in the process of editing them into the video and giving it to a few archives if anyone is interested.

Having a look at his collection was interesting, as all of his original uniforms, cap badges and hats were "thrown away" or "stolen by bloody English bastards" as he liked to say. He didn't have the famous knife either, but a reproduction presented to him, as his original was lost on Monte Cassino. He described the knife as "pretty useless", since you didn't want to get that close to the enemy to use it!

When leaving he gave me this patch which took me by surprise, I asked if he recalled where he got it and he said it was probably one of the extra ones they had that were not on the uniform but he couldn't remember. Any chance this is an original, or perhaps one he was given at a reunion post war?

Many thanks!

Old 15-06-12, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Patch looks okay. There were some of these made into the post war period and distributed at reunions.
Old 18-06-12, 05:18 AM

Thanks Bill! The badge will never get sold regardless and is going to get framed in the room, I guess you mean it could be either wartime or made for reunions post war but not possible to tell

I'm going to put that video up on this site once it is edited, if anyone would like to see his wartime photos I can post them here!