British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Airborne and Special Forces

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-02-12, 12:48 PM

Question FSSF SSI

Were any FFS SSI (patches) made in Canada, or were they all, except for theatre made examples, made in the US? If some were manufactured in Canada is there a difference?

Don
Old 27-02-12, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Don, The issue patterns were either US made or theatre made. There are a few privately made patches that may be Canadian made, but no authorized Canadian made issue was provided.
Old 27-02-12, 03:23 PM

Thanks Bill. I rather thought this would be the case as the unit was formed in the US, in Montana I believe, at least according to the movie. Have you any idea who came up with the design and when? Just curious.

Don
Old 27-02-12, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Don, Ken Joyce in Crimson Spearhead, indicates that the design may have been made by artists at D.H.Dondero Inc. The pattern was authorized September 14, 1942. Several different versions were ordered during the war, the first delivery to Helena, later deliveries to other stations.
The FSSF patch is one of the most copied badges around. To compound the problem of distinguishing the good from the bad, there are several wartime variations, the post war pattern, the movie pattern and all the reproductions.
Old 27-02-12, 06:12 PM

Hello Bill,

Thanks for the information. My first thought after reading your response was, Good Grief! A movie version! I suppose that would be a good find, if it was worn by William Holden. I also wonder if someone has time to wander around Helena, Mt they might find some stashed away in some dark corner of some old antique store. I visited a few about 40 years ago in cities near installations and you could still find some remaining insignia. Probability not true any more without a lot of luck. I recognize D. H. Dondero as a manufacturer of military insignia. Whoever designed this SSI produced an attractive design. I have one which I think, maybe, might be authentic. The last one I saw for sale at a show was $250.00 USD. A lot of money for a piece of cloth that may or may not be the real thing.

I appreciate your responses and time.

Don
Old 27-02-12, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Don, Any chance of an image? The $250 price is a bit steep, but if it comes with an iron clad provenance it may be worth it.
I think we all have the fantasies of going into an out of way antique store and finding a lot scarce badges, bound in the bundles with string... and the dealer wants piddly for it...
Old 27-02-12, 08:58 PM

Unhappy No Image

Hi Bill,

I saw this at a gun show in Kansas City, Mo last July, so, sorry, no picture. This show was mainly guns with about 6 or so dealers having insignia of various types. Being in the US the insignia was mainly US and WWII German. I don't recall what else this dealer had, only that the FSSF was in a box with a plastic cover and the price which was 200-250 USD, guaranteed authentic. I think it was supposed to be theater made; the border was not what I associate with issue FSSF patches. All in all it was a good show though not for what the members of this forum are after. I'm looking forward to this year's show. If anyone has an interest in attending I can post details as I learn them. It is located just outside of KC International. KC BBQ is tasty.

Speaking of fantasies, mine is finding a Guard's Machine Gun Battalion officer's badge in a display of jewelry, for a pittance, of course. Hasn't happened, so far. Hope springs eternal.

Don