British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-05-23, 03:41 PM

Default Royal Artillery Pagri badge

Another find this morning, I think it is a pagri badge, but it is die-struck with a pin on the reverse to secure it, was it made in the UK or in India?

Thoughts please . . !

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040618.jpg (45.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg P1040619.jpg (42.7 KB, 100 views)
Old 21-05-23, 05:08 PM

Only officers had the gun style pagri badges and this is an other ranks from the look of it.

I dont recognise the rear pin as any type of fitting off an RA pagri badge.

I believe its had its slider removed and a commercial pin added later in its life.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 21-05-23, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Only officers had the gun style pagri badges and this is an other ranks from the look of it.

I dont recognise the rear pin as any type of fitting off an RA pagri badge.

I believe its had its slider removed and a commercial pin added later in its life.

regards
Simon,
Thanks for the reply, the area where the slider may have been has now the pin fixture brazed on to the badge, looking at it under a glass I can see no evidence of any other fixture being present, this is the reason I have added this thread, it's quite unusual and the first fixture like this I have ever encountered.

Rob
Old 22-05-23, 03:17 AM

I’m with Simon B. On this one. Some Wiley Oriental Gentleman has possibly adapted an OR’s badge for his own reasons, if he were working as a mess steward in India, Their badges WERE pinned on the reverse!. D.J.
Old 22-05-23, 07:07 AM

Default Royal Artillery Pagri badge

DJ, thanks for your thought, I forgot that some mess stewards and waiters wore badges of the Regiment's mess they worked in.

Rob
Old 22-05-23, 11:12 AM

Rob,

The Royal Artillery had their own style of Bearer/Mess Waiter head dress badges, see attached.

Your badge was slidered and has had an after market, commercial 'sweetheart' type pin attached.

regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rabearer.jpg (36.2 KB, 44 views)

Old 22-05-23, 11:19 AM

To be honest it looks like the sort of fitting you find on a cheap sweetheart or brooch
Old 22-05-23, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
To be honest it looks like the sort of fitting you find on a cheap sweetheart or brooch
It is a cheap looking brooch fitting, however the braze used to fix it probably cost more than the brooch fitting . . !

I cannot see why anyone would go to the bother of all this, after all Royal Artillery sweetheart brooches were available in various styles and prices ranging from basic to precious metal.

It is I will say an oddity and something I will add to my Artillery badge collection.

Rob
Old 22-05-23, 02:34 PM

Rob,

They went to the trouble of doing it because in them days your average soldier couldnt afford to buy a specially made sweetheart badge but had a lot of DIY skills or knew a bloke who could braze stuff, either at work or in his shed so it was free as a favour or a pint.

I have my Great Grandfathers RE cap badge, fittings removed and brooch pin fitted just the same and also the photo of my Great Grandmother wearing it. They were as skint as anyone could be with and had 7 kids to feed and clothe.

regards

Old 22-05-23, 02:37 PM

Exactly.
Old 22-05-23, 08:12 PM

Simon has about said it all here. Fixings are so often mistakenly used to place a badge's particular application. Brooch fittings or long sliders do not always indicate they are for the Pagri.

CB
Old 23-05-23, 08:11 AM

Thank you for all of your comments on this little item, as I said it will go on my Royal Artillery board, but in the box of badges and buttons where I found it there were mainly Royal Artillery items, collar badges, titles and buttons which made me think it could have been made to fit issued headgear.

Rob
Old 23-05-23, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

I have seen lots of WW1 era photos with the cap badge being worn on a jacket lapel in civilian dress: I suspect a pin modification would be far better that a slider sitting badly in a buttonhole.
Old 23-05-23, 06:18 PM

Default Sliders and buttonholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I have seen lots of WW1 era photos with the cap badge being worn on a jacket lapel in civilian dress: I suspect a pin modification would be far better that a slider sitting badly in a buttonhole.
When I found my first cap badge in 1952, a Royal Engineers GviR which was my Fathers, I stuck it in the buttonhole of my school blazer and proudly wore it to school, soon others followed and by bribery and exchanges I soon had a few more which started what has become a lifelong interest.

All original issued badges have a story to tell and I am sure some if put to print would become best sellers, this is part of the attraction to collecting for me.

Rob