British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-05-23, 09:12 AM

Default Large Lincolnshire Cap Star.

Hello Chaps,

I had been looking for a Officers large Lincolnshire cap star for quite a while, and I was very pleased to finally get my hands on one, a week or two back. Yesterday, to my great surprise, another one of these badges appeared on eBay, and I decided to compare the two, what do you think? Mine is the first one, front and back, and the second is the one that's on eBay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC14919.jpg (77.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14921.jpg (88.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14098.jpg (96.6 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14439.jpg (118.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 19-05-23, 10:01 AM

There is some age to your example Chris relative to the example listed for sale. There is significant variation in the appearance of the Sphinx as you will note from just these two examples. Your felt backing is intact and the fretting is finer. I would stay with what you have. This velvet backed cap star was worn 1881-92 after which an enamel backed version was worn, cheers Dean
Old 19-05-23, 11:14 AM

Many thanks for your thoughts, Dean, there certainly does seem to be quite a difference in the Sphinx and Egypt tablet on the eBay offering. I was thinking that the quality might have been a bit better in such an early badge.

I'm now wondering what to do with my surplus gapfiller, we have mentioned these particular cap stars before. I have seen them described as cheap fakes, but I must admit that I've become quite fond of my example. I don't think that they are cheaply made, at all, a little care has been taken in their construction, methinks. Fake also suggests an intention to deceive, and I don't really think that these were ever intended to fool anybody that's looking for the real thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC14884.jpg (77.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14885.jpg (79.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14886.jpg (81.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14887.jpg (49.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14888.jpg (51.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14889.jpg (65.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14890.jpg (56.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 19-05-23, 11:26 AM

I was taken in by these when I started out on Lincs badges as well Chris. They are copies from the original dies and not constructed in the manner that genuine enamel backed cap stars are with multiple parts that can be taken apart for cleaning.

As gap fillers go if yours pleases you then that is your answer, cheers Dean
Old 19-05-23, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaychris View Post
Hello Chaps,

I had been looking for a Officers large Lincolnshire cap star for quite a while, and I was very pleased to finally get my hands on one, a week or two back. Yesterday, to my great surprise, another one of these badges appeared on eBay, and I decided to compare the two, what do you think? Mine is the first one, front and back, and the second is the one that's on eBay.
Two lovely badges.
Cheers,
Alex