British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-04-23, 03:26 PM

Default 1st City of Edinburgh Engineer Volunteers

I came across some new info for this Corps while searching some old newspaper articles. Although it adds more confusion to the mix for the info I already had. If any of the badges described sound familiar or you can add to this in any way, please let me know.

1. “The Scotsman” Newspaper - 6th July 1861 describes Corps as being founded June 1860, wearing a busby and “a black glazed cap” (in undress) with the following insignia:

-Busby Badge: Flaming bomb, with Lion Rampant and Crown
-Waist Belt: A Fortification with Shield and Scottish Lion in centre
-Cartridge Box (Pouch?): Flaming bomb and Initials of the Corps

2. Royal Engineers (Volunteers) by Ray Westlake describes Corps as being formed 3rd July 1860. No uniform described.

3. Records of the Scottish Volunteer Force by Grierson describes the Corps as being raised 3rd July 1860 and states that instead of a busby, they wore scarlet caps with peaks and green ball tufts and the following insignia:

-Cap: Badge of a Lion, Rampant within a wreath
-Pouch: Badge of a Fortification

4. Head-Dress Badges of the British Army Vol 1 by Kipling and King doesn’t mention formation date but states that the unit didn’t wear a busby and describes the headdress insignia:

-The badge affixed to a plume holder. Within a wreath of thistles surmounted by a crown an ornamental strap inscribed Nemo me impune lacessit. In the centre a lion. Below the strap within an oval St Andrew and Cross. In silver plate.

5. From the collection of Professor Charles Thomas. He uses the text from Ray Westlake but shows a badge that he acquired in 1969 in Edinburgh and attributes this a the pouch badge of the Corps.

Ryan

Collector: Corps of Royal Engineers / Engineer Volunteers Corps / Engineer Militia / Submarine Miners / Royal Sappers & Miners / Royal Engineer Services / Royal Engineer Department / Engineer & Railway Volunteer Staff Corps, etc
Old 05-01-24, 07:05 AM

To add to this, member Oxley451 recently shared this colour image with me of the badge from KK, although without the aforementioned “plume holder” but with either lugs or pin fitting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5892.jpg (84.5 KB, 34 views)

Ryan

Collector: Corps of Royal Engineers / Engineer Volunteers Corps / Engineer Militia / Submarine Miners / Royal Sappers & Miners / Royal Engineer Services / Royal Engineer Department / Engineer & Railway Volunteer Staff Corps, etc