British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-11-12, 07:39 PM

Default Cut-away badges

An article appeared in the latest Bulletin of the Military historical Society showing some Northamptonshire regt badges that had been cut away to be worn by VTC units.

I have a similar badge that was made from a Northampton OSD and also another made from a 1916 issue Norfolk Regt cap badge. Has anyone encountered this type of badge before or have other badges similarly cut away.

Your thoughts

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000107.jpg (85.9 KB, 226 views)
Old 20-11-12, 09:06 PM

Hello Rob

At a fair recently a seller had a couple of white metal Britannia badges on sliders that were being sold as Volunteer badges. I couldn't work them out at first, but soon realized that they had been cut out of a pre 1937 Norfolk cap badge. They were quite neatly done.
Old 20-11-12, 09:41 PM

Cool Volunteers

Hi Andy, yes, I suppose they were volunteers as I'm sure they were worn by some VTC units. Interesting that so far only Norfolk and Northamptonshire have been noted.

Rob
Old 20-11-12, 10:07 PM

I must admit that I dismissed them as fantasy, but now you have got me thinking
Old 20-11-12, 10:20 PM
Former Member

I've got a Dorsetshire Regiment one somewhere! It's very well done and I'm sure I posted it on here a year or so ago!

Andy
Old 21-11-12, 05:06 PM

Default Cut away badges

Andy, these were certainly not fantasy items, in the bulletin of the Military Historical Society is a picture of a cut-away Northampton badge clearly seen on a peaked cap along with two different cap badges.

2747 Andy, I think I remember a Dorsetshire badge somewhere, there must be others I would think.

Rob
Old 21-11-12, 05:35 PM

So thoughts on this one then?

Ivan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01194.jpg (27.2 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01195.jpg (32.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 21-11-12, 06:34 PM

The practice has continued,the Royal Malta Artillery in a/a can be found with the crown removed.
Old 21-11-12, 07:09 PM

Andy, these were certainly not fantasy items, in the bulletin of the Military Historical Society is a picture of a cut-away Northampton badge clearly seen on a peaked cap along with two different cap badges.

Sorry Rob, I was referring to the Britannia badges that I mentioned in my first post and not the practice in general.
Old 21-11-12, 07:18 PM

Smile Y&L

Ivan, I have one of these somewhere and thought it a bit of vandalism, however you may have shown it in a different light, thanks for reminding me. Although thinking about it there are no battle honours that would have appeared, just the rose and crown.

Rob

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 21-11-12 at 07:30 PM.
Old 21-11-12, 08:16 PM

Rob, I have seen several of these over the years and I too thought it was some sort of vandalism.

The York and Lancs badge does not normally break easily to remove the coronet and rose and on the example shown, it does appear to have been carefully cut away.

I suppose the question is, were any VTC units allied to the Y&L?
Old 21-11-12, 10:13 PM

Default Unrecorded VTC's

I think the patriotic fervour of 1914 brought many VTC units all over the British isles, no doubt the area of recruitment covered by the York and Lancs had some VTC units.

Some time ago I went to a car boot and saw a small badge that looked similar to a GS collar, but was in fact the crest of Barking in Essex, now of course in greater London. it had a slider and I think it is a VTC cap badge.

Rob
Old 21-11-12, 10:23 PM

Who's sending their badges back to Dave to get the crowns un-soldered off?

Last edited by Keith Blakeman; 22-11-12 at 12:32 AM.
Old 22-11-12, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
An article appeared in the latest Bulletin of the Military historical Society showing some Northamptonshire regt badges that had been cut away to be worn by VTC units.

I have a similar badge that was made from a Northampton OSD and also another made from a 1916 issue Norfolk Regt cap badge. Has anyone encountered this type of badge before or have other badges similarly cut away.

Your thoughts

Rob
hi rob, i also have the small 1916 type, and thought that it may have been changed at the time,and given as some sort of gift.
Old 22-11-12, 07:33 PM

Default Suffolk VTC...

It's good to see these examples.

The Suffolk VTC certainly wore Suffolk Regiment cap badges for a while.
Given the fuss over Territorial Force battalions not being allowed to wear Regular cap badges with battle honours from 1908 it seems unlikely that the VTC were allowed to wear the standard badge.

However, I have seen a few standard cap badges with "GIBRALTAR" cut out above the castle.
I believe that these badges are the ones worn by the Suffolk VTC.

(Similar badges, with "GIBRALTAR" missing, were worn pre-war by the Officers of the 5th Battalion, TF, in silver and bronze, but the 5/Suffolk ORs all wore the Territorial ORs cap badge.)

Last edited by chief_chum; 22-11-12 at 08:26 PM.