British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-05-23, 10:29 AM

Default Blackened Royal Anglian Badges

Has anybody got any pictures of blackened Royal Anglian badges as per NI. Seen a few recently just wondered if anybody knows generally are they found as DIY type jobs with just the exposed area blackened by paint or all black as might have been done en masse type thing.
Old 25-05-23, 12:47 PM

Hi dean , all of the ones that I have had, seen or own, are either brush painted or sprayed. I would say that all of them got painted at the posting, either one at a time , or maybe a few soldiers got together and painted there’s all together. Normally the whole badge, and slider are painted. Most of those found tend to have the paint rubbed off, because is doesn’t bond very well to the anodised.
Old 25-05-23, 02:49 PM

Default Thanks Andrew

Thanks Andrew
Old 25-05-23, 04:37 PM

I agree with Andrew ,dont think there are any which have been produced. There arent very many that were actually produced in black anodised.
Usually black spray or MT black paint from a tin.
Old 25-05-23, 09:36 PM

I blackened my a/a Royal Anglian badge with a black permanent marker to the front, back edges and top of the slider. As stated, it all rubbed off the high points over time and wear. But you could just touch it up again with the marker, or if it was no longer required to be blackened when most of the black rubbed off and you just had the black in the low points of the badge it gave the badge quite a Gucci antiqued look!

Never saw a purpose made black Anglian badge.

Cheers……John
Old 12-06-23, 08:13 PM

Finally had a chance to dig out my blackened a/a Royal Anglian cap badge. You can just about see some of the permanent black marker has worn off the high points of the bricks above the castle keep doors. Otherwise not bad considering I coloured that badge 31 odd years ago!

Cheers......John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (52.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (36.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (49.0 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-06-23, 09:15 PM

Not bad at all. You can genuinely say it was a permanent marker if its lasted that long.
Old 24-06-23, 05:07 PM

Not a great deal of help in respect of Dean’s initial query, but just to add to the thread, here is a picture from the Essex Regiment gallery at the Chelmsford Museum, showing a blackened badge being worn by a mannequin representing a private of the 3rd Bn. Royal Anglians, in Northern Ireland, 1975.

IMG_5483.jpeg

Regards to all,

JT
Old 06-07-23, 02:47 PM

Hi Troops, I have a blackened Royal Anglian badge, it's also made by London Badge & Button co.ltd. The one I have is black all over including the slider.