British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-05-23, 07:17 AM

Default Yeoman Warder Uniform

Hi,

I have just come into the possession of a Yeoman Warder Uniform from a collection here in Australia.

It belonged to Robert Isaac Furman A/RSM 9th Middlesex Regt who retired from the service of the Yeoman Warders in 1953.

1953 saw Liz jump onto the thrown as her father had died the year before, which makes the tunic interesting.

It was made by Hobson and Sons (London) and has a kings crown and buttons, yet it has E R on the front.

Just wondering if it is possible that they rebadged the tunic as E R due to his time left in the service or was this common around this time whilst they waited for new uniforms?
Old 30-05-23, 07:32 AM

Suggest that you contact the Chief Yeoman Warder at the Tower of London. He'll probably give you chapter and verse on the uniform and the practices which take place upon a change of Sovereign insofar as uniforms go.

Dave.
Old 30-05-23, 08:11 AM

While the royal cypher is changed ahead of the coronation of a new sovereign , the tunics and buttons of the Yeoman Warders have the "Tudor Crown" on them.

In Queen Victoria's reign they had the St.Edward's Crown but since then the "Tudor Crown" has been used.

https://www.yeomenoftheguard.co.uk/the-guard-room

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 30-05-23, 12:17 PM

Hi

Thanks for all the info.

I did post photos but cannot find them so i will send again.

Noticed today different material used for E and R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0275.jpg (106.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0271.jpg (92.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0274.jpg (79.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 30-05-23, 01:37 PM

While the "state" uniforms (red) retained the "Tudor Crown" the daily blue "undress" uniforms changed to the "St.Edward's Crown" at some point (late 1950's/1960's).

Photo shows the "Tudor Crown" version being worn in August 1955.(Mormon Tabernacle Choir tour Europe in 1955)

EDIT - Found this :

Quote:
Blue and red undress uniform, with royal crown and monogram of Queen Elizabeth, introduced in 1958 and worn as the Yeoman Warders' normal working dress. Hobson & Sons, London.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mormon.jpg (51.0 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 30-05-23 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Added better photo
Old 31-05-23, 08:20 AM

Many thanks for your help and clarifying the tunic may question, I will write to the Tower to see if they have and more information on him.

My burning question is all those medal ribbons on the attached photo cannot find more than 5 on his military records.

PS. Bought the tunic because my surname is Yeoman and I thought it would create a topic of conversation
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robert Isaac Furman.jpg (30.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 31-05-23, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree Farm View Post
My burning question is all those medal ribbons on the attached photo cannot find more than 5 on his military records.
Found on Anglo Boer War website :

Quote:
Medals to the Middlesex Regiment

QSA (2) Cape Colony, South Africa 1902 (7373 L.Corpl: R. H. Furman. Midd’x. Regt.);
BWM and VM (L-7373 T.W.O. Cl.I. R. I. Furman. Midd’x. R.);
India General Service 1908-35, (1) Afghanistan N.W.F. 1919 (A.W.O. Cl.1. R. I. Furman, Middx. R.);
Defence Medal;
Jubilee 1935;
Coronation 1937;
Army LS&GC GV 1st issue (L-7373 C.S. Mjr: R. I. Furman. Midd’x R.);
MSM GVI 1st issue (6188345 W.O. Cl.2. R. I. Furman. Midd’x. R)

Robert Isaac Furman was born in 1883 and attested for the Middlesex Regiment in 1901. He served with the 2nd Battalion in South Africa during the latter stages of the Boer War, and with the 1st/9th Battalion during the Great War in Egypt, France, and India. He saw further service during the Third Afghan War on attachment to the 25th Battalion, London Regiment- although no Middlesex Battalion was engaged at strength in the Third Afghan War, Furman was part of a detachment of men from the 9th and 10th Battalions that served during the campaign on the strength of units. He was discharged in 1922, after 21 years’ service.

Furman spent the next three years working at the General Post Office. He was appointed a Yeoman Warder at the Tower of London on 26 July 1926, and served there until his retirement on 30 January 1953 (and so just missed out by a few months on being awarded a 1953 Coronation Medal), after over 47 years’ service. He was awarded his Meritorious Service Medal per Army Order 68 of 1946, and died in Folkestone, Kent, on 13 December 1959.
https://www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5...regiment#70791

Third photo :
Quote:
Yeoman Warder R. I. Furman and Flossie the dog on duty at the Tower of London’s West Gate in 1945.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FurmanRI.jpg (62.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg FurmanRI2.jpg (69.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Yeoman.jpg (60.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by mike_vee; 31-05-23 at 10:01 AM.
Old 31-05-23, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree Farm View Post
His full set of medals were sold at Noonan's Auction House on 20 AUGUST 2020 for £3,200.

https://www.noonans.co.uk/auctions/a...e_end=&lot_no=