British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-05-14, 04:27 PM

Default RCEME Opinions Please

The last couple of years I have concentrated my collecting to my own Corps (REME) and units I served with. To compliment the REME collection I thought I would add the cap badges for RAEME, RCEME and RNZEME. Here are my RCEME badges so far. I would appreciate it if someone would run their peepers over these and make any observations re genuine/copies, etc.
1. First badge, 2 lugs, maker marked (MM) 'W SCULLY MONTR' around the l/h lug. (Partially obscured by the fixing).
2. Bi-metal, KC, 2 lugs, MM 'SCULLY LTD MONTREAL'. This badge came with the navy blue cloth backing. Where would this have been worn? Attached personnel? Worn with a particular headdress?
3. Bi-metal QC on slider but no MM.
4. QC on lugs but no MM. This badge looks to me like a British 'GAUNT' made badge to British officer quality. Were RCEME badges made/worn to two standards for officer and OR?
5. LORE badge with MM 'BREADNER 80'
6. Current badge? EME/GEM, MM 'C.L.96' on bottom of slider.
Lastly, am I missing any badges that would make up 'a set' covering the history of RCEME?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCEME 1.jpg (115.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg RCEME 2.jpg (117.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg RCEME 3.jpg (114.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg RCEME 4.jpg (108.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 25-05-14, 07:25 PM
Banned

Default RCEME. Hallmarked silver.

Good evening.

Seems to me you are missing a hallmarked silver example of Item 1. Features a gilt wash to the crown and title scroll. Sponsor's mark is to JG Gaunt & Son, assayed Birmingham. Found with both loops north-south, and a vertical pin fitting. I have copies of both.

I even have spares.

Enjoy.

S.T.
Old 25-05-14, 07:34 PM

The hallmarked silver badges you describe are collars or caps?
Old 25-05-14, 07:39 PM

Regarding RCEME
All of your badges are good.
First pattern does have an officers' version in an "antique" brass finish.
I believe the KC horse has an officers' pattern in silver and gilt.
Your QC horse in silver and gilt is an officers. I know there are Scully made badges and there may be Gaunt made badges.
The Land Ordnance Engineering(LORE)/Land Electrical Mechanical Engineering(LEME) badge is also made in wire embroidered for officers and thread embroidered for ORs.
The EME horse pattern is also made in wire embroidered for officers and thread embroidered for ORs.
PM me your address as I may have a couple of spares that I can send you.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 25-05-14, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

I have a kc RCEME officer's horse type badge for sale. If interested, please pm me.
Old 25-05-14, 10:08 PM

The first pattern RCEME has several officer's patterns. The picture shows the antique finish, a more muted OSD badge, & silver plated. All are by Scully. Judging from its reverse, I think your badge is (or was) actually the antiqued officers version.
The second pic shows the OR's oxidized copper version - nicer than the officers stuff in my opinion. Also shown is a variant badge, - manufacturer unknown.
Nice collection by the way, & a great direction to take. Lots of interesting stuff, & none of it too costly. Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rceme1.jpg (46.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg rceme2.jpg (45.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 26-05-14, 06:59 AM

[QUOTE=jeep;263804]The last couple of years I have concentrated my collecting to my own Corps (REME) and units I served with. To compliment the REME collection I thought I would add the cap badges for RAEME, RCEME and RNZEME.

I have been concentrating on REME , don't know why, and have recently acquired a Pakistani EME badge, still looking for a RNZEME and IEME.
Old 26-05-14, 05:28 PM

Thanks everyone, very informative. Looks like I need to keep my eyes open for at least four badges! Does anyone have an answer to the navy cloth backing? PM's sent to Phil and ST.
Old 26-05-14, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

The navy coloured cloth is one of the RCEME colours. The rank stars are edged in royal blue, and the badge backings are the same colour. There are other uses, such as on the forage cap band.
Old 26-05-14, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
The navy coloured cloth is one of the RCEME colours. The rank stars are edged in royal blue, and the badge backings are the same colour. There are other uses, such as on the forage cap band.
I believe that RCEME wore red/scarlet bands on the forage cap.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 26-05-14, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

My mistake. The forage cap band was scarlet.
Old 26-05-14, 07:30 PM

Quote:
My mistake. The forage cap band was scarlet.
That sounds very much like the REME one which is a general one known as Caps, Royal.
Old 26-05-14, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Canadian regiments and corps took great pride in their British connections and heritage. Many dress practices and distinctions were a reflection of the parent/affiliated corps or regiments. In some ways the Canadian army of the 1950's was more "British than the British". General G.G. Simonds was very much an anglophile and introduced or expanded on many Brit customs in Canada. The Canadian Guards were one example of his initiatives.
Old 26-05-14, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Canadian regiments and corps took great pride in their British connections and heritage. Many dress practices and distinctions were a reflection of the parent/affiliated corps or regiments. In some ways the Canadian army of the 1950's was more "British than the British". General G.G. Simonds was very much an anglophile and introduced or expanded on many Brit customs in Canada. The Canadian Guards were one example of his initiatives.
I read a quote about the Canadian Army c1950-1960s--"A good little British Army f&@ked up by a few Canadians." This was why the Egyptians didn't want Canadians during the Suez crisis, one of the reasons for the rash on mutinies in the RCN, and one of the primary reasons for unification; the idea that we could be Canadian, and not just a clone of the British.