British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-01-21, 12:44 PM

Default British Great War Veterans of America

Spotted this medal and although I'd never heard of this organisation I just had to have it due to the British Legion connection.

While waiting on it to arrive I did a bit of research but as it went "missing in action" I wasn't going to post about it . Well , it has now turned up so here is what I have discovered.

The "British Great War Veterans of America" appears to have been set up in New York in 1919/1920 and consisted of about 1000 discharged Canadian and British soldiers.

In 1920 the group held its "first annual sports meet" attended by British and Canadian "Notables" .

I don't have a date about when the British Legion became involved but found a 1933 Christmas Card from the British Legion New York Branch showing that the two groups were connected.

I have only discovered one other example of the medal and it has a plain back , so I don't know if this was simply a commemorative item or if it was some form of "Merit Award".
I also found an 8" (20cm) plaque for "British War Veterans" but can't find any information about if they had their own badge.

If anyone has any more information please let me know , meantime I'm very happy to have this new addition to my collection.

NB. Christmas Card photos 'borrowed' from old post on GWF.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted

Last edited by mike_vee; 03-01-21 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Forgot one photo