British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-07-11, 12:29 PM

Default Airborne Forces

A facing pair, but when and where would they have been worn. All suggestions welcome.
img149.jpgimg150.jpgimg151.jpg
Old 11-07-11, 07:18 PM

I would say these are from around WWII and worn Khaki Drill, so North African campaign or Far East perhaps even Italy.
Old 12-07-11, 06:13 PM

HI Michael , Luc has pretty much nailed it but
if I was forced to pick I would chose Italian campaign rather than North Africa , also , despsite what others have written else where the ` normal ` pegasus WAS WORN in the far east some times along side the India pegasus in the same unit.

The reseach I have done so far I believe the normal pegasus was worn by some airborne troops who where trained back in the UK before reaching the far east and not done their parachute training in India , I do not think this was a deliberate distincton to be different but more a personal choice. From the examples Ive seen a good few of them were airborne officers serving with corps , one of them was a UK trained para officer who was badged intelligence corps serving at command H.Q , you get the picture?

Also , please examine your pegasus signs very close and check to see if the word ` INDIA ` was once present ? troops returning to the UK that came under control of airborne forces who still wore the India pegasus were ordered to remove them , some troops just un picked the lettering for the word India , regards ,Michael.

Last edited by NEMO; 12-07-11 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-07-11, 07:49 PM

Thanks. No sign of the word INDIA having been unpicked (in any case embroidered 44 Indian AB Div signs must be pretty few and far between - almost every example that surfaces is printed). Many standard Airborne Forces signs must have been worn east of Suez in the 1940s -for example 5 Para Bde left 6 AB Div and arrived in India in Aug 45, serving later in Java. This formation - unless it came under command of 2 Indian AB Div - and also the battalions that left 6 AB Div to serve in Palestine will have tended to wear the Airborne Forces sign - and their wings - with press studs.