British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-04-19, 10:44 PM

Default 1st Hussars Beret - WW2?

Hi Gents,

I've recently acquired this Canadian 1st Hussars beret. The seller purports that it is manufactured in 1944 (given the M stamp) but I have since come to read that berets manufactured in 1954 may also be stamped in a similar fashion. Is there any way to truly determine when this piece was produced? For obvious reasons, I'm sincerely hoping that it's wartime...

Thanks in advance!

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (49.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1601.jpg (44.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1602.jpg (68.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1603.jpg (50.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1604.jpg (69.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 23-04-19, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Chris, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts.
To your question. The Canadian army returned from overseas in 1945-46. The active units were disbanded and the reserve units soldiered on, BUT with Canadian uniforms and headdress. There would be next to no reason for a Canadian armoured unit to have Brit made berets. This does not mean the beret is 1944 or 54. Just that a Canadian cap badge would not be likely to be found on the 54 beret IF the badge was original to the beret.
Old 23-04-19, 11:55 PM

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your quick response and prompt activation of my account!

Are the J.R. Gaunt manufactured 1st Hussars cap badges not produced in England? If this is the case, why is it so hard to believe that other British materiel would have made its way into Canadian hands?

My primary area of interest is USGI militaria, and I am familiar with many British made field gear items being used by U.S. Forces, so why would the Canadians not also use British kit from time-to-time?

Based on what I can tell the marking stamped inside is:

M
W /|\ D

My intent is not to refute your knowledge, I'm just trying to learn through asking questions.

Cheers,
Chris