British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-03-19, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat Yeoman View Post
Good morning / evening folks,

As I have mentioned on and off on the forum, for some time now I’ve been working on a book to document the badges worn by my old Regiment. I’ve now finished it, and am talking to a printer to make it real..

I have covered all the various roles – Yeomanry Cavalry, IY, Yeomanry, Gunners & Signallers plus chapters for the Band and Cadets, and the Home Defence badges based on the EY design. And scope-wise I went for the lot: cap, collar, shoulder titles, button, SNCO badges, cloth items etc. There are also chapters on maker marks, forgeries and restrikes etc. and separate data tables for dimensions, fittings and so on. It’s coming in at just over 100 pages & 130+ badges and I’ve managed to get colour images for almost all of the items.

Keith Hook, who will be known to many of you, has helped to review on historical accuracy. I have also been very glad to have several members of the forum also assist in reviewing the drafts and giving collector feedback (thanks again chaps!) Some various (lower res as they're screen grab) images are attached to give an idea of the project.

The printer is now asking how many copies, so testing the waters here to what interest there would be from members. It should come in at around £14.99 plus postage and if I can cover the costs then any surplus will go the Regimental charity. I hope to take delivery to then distribute them in April.

If this would be of interest please do let me know!

Michael / EY
Hi Michael
can you please pencil me in for one
cheers
Steve
Old 03-04-19, 07:40 PM

Hi folks

I picked up the proof copy last night. Not bound but otherwise the final product! I need to give it a final read but from a quick scan through looking pretty good. That also means I can weigh and confirm p&p cost to ship.

Starting to get a little excited!

Just about to get on a plane so more to follow once I’m back home and can weigh etc..

Sorry photos are sideways, doing this on an iPad.

M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 624B7ACB-0588-4CE6-B25C-E1A1C52171D1.jpg (39.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 471C5157-EA15-4DEA-8ACF-CFCD12E98BA9.jpg (47.5 KB, 68 views)
Old 03-04-19, 07:56 PM

PayPal finger poised.
Old 03-04-19, 08:44 PM

Really looking forward to this, can't wait............
Old 21-04-19, 08:58 AM

Troops, latest as follows..

Very nearly there - final material is with the printer for the full print run and is due back any day now; in parallel I have ordered the packaging material for posting them out and have spent this afternoon doing up address labels etc. Money is changing hands at a rapid pace

I should be over in Blighty end of this month and am planning to get them all posted out then. It's looking like P&P will be cheaper from the UK than HK for all destinations.

So, time please gentlemen for confirmed orders and payment...

- for all who have already given email contact details, I'll be emailing out to you shortly with bank details etc. for payment including the P&P.
- If I don't yet have your email or postal address, can you please PM (or email me on expatyeoman@essex-yeomanry.org.uk) to let me have them so I can get these details out to you.

Once again, really grateful for all the kind words of encouragement and support to my little project.
Old 21-04-19, 01:34 PM

Great to hear things are progressing well, and that you are preparing for 'lift off' - all very impressive!
Mike
Old 01-05-19, 08:35 AM

Default Dispatch time

Morning/ afternoon troops.

Well I lost a bit of momentum as I was finalising with printer and confirming date of my next trip to UK to collect them. And the answer on that is - next week!

So now it's time to ask those who are interested for their payment. I'd prefer not to splatter my bank details on the interweb net thingy so will be sending an email out shortly with details, please keep an eye on your inboxes.

There are a few members where I need an email address / postal address / surname / combination thereof, and I have private messaged all who are in that camp. Would appreciate if you can come back with the details so I can get everything prepped.

I'm aiming to spend the UK bank holiday wrapping and packing, and all paid-up orders will be straight in the post from there.

For my Aussie mates, having looked into postage costs it might be better to send them via AusPost domestic than Royal Mail international - and happily I should be in Sydney next month so could do that. I'll put all the details in my email to you so you can decide whether you'd prefer speed or cost.

So... Green light, Go!!
Old 01-05-19, 08:50 AM

Default Couriers

PS can anyone recommend any alternatives to Royal Mail for international postage? I can send them as large letters, but for Zone 1 and Zone 2 in particular the costs are high.

(I've looked at Parcel Force already and they were more expensive again..)
Old 04-05-19, 08:16 AM

Thanks to all who have made a purchase, I'm grateful for all the support and interest.

Just a gentle nudge to anyone else looking for a copy, if they can also send payment asap as I'm hoping to distribute as many as I can next week when in Blighty.
Old 07-05-19, 04:48 PM

I want one of these as well.
Old 22-05-19, 12:44 AM

Default The finished product

A slight delay at the very end but all resolved, and all copies purchased so far are now in the hands of Royal Mail. I know at least one has already arrived and hopefully more.

The ones for Australia I hope to collect early next month and I'll get those into Auspost system in mid June chaps.

A huge thank you to all who have supported the project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bound book.jpg (97.1 KB, 18 views)
Old 22-05-19, 11:00 AM

Michael,

I received mine today and have only flicked through as yet but straight away I can tell its a very thorough publication and of quality manufacture and superb photographs.

The way you have laid out the chapters is excellent and I congratulate you wholeheartedly. Well done.

I look forward to reading it in detail.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 22-05-19, 01:09 PM

Default Book

Received my copy today. It’s a real labour of love, congratulations Michael
Regards
Bob
Old 22-05-19, 01:42 PM

Received my copy today. Very impressed, thorough and informative. Recommended.

Jon
Old 22-05-19, 04:37 PM

Absolutely super publication, filling a gap and certainly a model for other unit records of insignia. Good clear illustrations, useful text and a very user friendly layout. Although I have only looked at it briefly, and look forward to a more in depth read - I found the 'Essex Home Defence Bodies' fascinating and am pleased to see chapters on 'Maker Marks/Variations', and 'Trials, Unofficial items, Restrikes and Reproductions' - at £15 there is no real excuse for anyone not having a copy! Highly recommended.
Mike