British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-12-18, 05:25 PM

Default Liverpool Irish and Scottish

HI
I would like to request a little help.
I have viewed a number of threads related to these two badges and am still a little unsure of their authenticity. Would you mind taking a look and giving me some advice.
The Scottish has the dye mark on the reverse resembling a bugle near the top left portion of the cross. A characteristic that was common on badges that were judged to be authentic.
The Irish badge would appear to be the "thin neck" version.
Thanks

Last edited by mike ross; 15-12-18 at 05:32 PM.
Old 15-12-18, 05:49 PM

Default Liverpool Irish and Scottish

Sorry photos did not load. My fault, new at this.
MikeIMG_0071 liverpool.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg
Old 16-12-18, 11:12 AM

Pardon me but I am quite new, we’re the photos too bad to form an opinion or were the badges quite unremarkable?
Thanks for your help, I am trying to learn.
Mike
Old 16-12-18, 04:55 PM

The 8th Bn (Liverpool Irish) KLR was formed n 1908 (out of the 5th Vol Bn KLR).
Yes, it is a 'thin neck die which I think is later than the thick neck one. The thick is known with loops and with sliders but I have never seen a thin with loops. I have found two slight variant dies for Thick but only one for Thin. After the WO took over provision of badges and this became Pattern 601/1915 and was obsolete in 1922.
Anyway, a nice badge (regardless of the loss of the slider).

The 10th Bn (Lpl Scottish) KLR ORs Glengarry badge. This is defined by it having loops (rather than the screw posts of a sporran badge0 but yours also has a 'gap' at the base of the wreath - whereas officr's NCOs, pipers and sporran badge have a closed wreath - AND the horsae on that lot is stippled.
This particular die (I don't [yet] know who the maker was) but it is quite common (I call it 1908 Die 3). I have seen this one with round loops, hexagonal loops, D D shaped loops and flat round loops. This badge became Pattern 9392/1917. It was worn up to 1937.

The die (dye?) is the whole pattern though in this case two dies because it is made up of two pieces. What you thought was a bugle can be seen on the obverse where it is clearly identified as a knot in the wood of the saltire. Again these are arranged in various positions on differing dies. Where on earth did you get the idea that it was a mark of authenticity - somebody has been having you on !

To date I have identified 7 'horse' dies and 6 'saltire' dies.

Both are perfectly good genuine badges. You've clearly got the bug and I wish you well in your collecting !
Old 16-12-18, 05:55 PM

kLR
Thank you very much, I really appreciate the validation from a person with your expertise.
The Scottish badge was purchased from a man who removed it from a decayed belt.
The Irish was purchased from a museum that was closing, who unfortunately liked to cut sliders and loops to aid in display. Ugh. Both were purchased in the early 2000,s.
Thank you very much again
Mike
Old 16-12-18, 10:14 PM

I hope this was of some help, but I can see that i must have written it at top speed - the typing is awful !
Old 17-12-18, 12:44 AM

It .was a big help, thank you very much.
Mike