British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-01-11, 07:37 PM
Peter J

Default APMMC

Are these badges particularly rare? This one is not in the greatest condition, but comments very welcome.

With thanks,

Peter.

DSCF3529.jpg DSCF3531.jpg
Old 07-01-11, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Is it even military?
Old 07-01-11, 07:46 PM
Peter J

Default Almeric Paget Military Massage Corps

Well, it's a good question, Alan.

Whilst it could certainly be considered 'connected' to the military, I am unsure whether or not the Corps was actually 'military' by definition.

Perhaps other members will be able to clarify.

Thanks,

Peter.
Old 07-01-11, 08:12 PM

I have always understood it was a WW1 raised unit to provide massage to injured sevicemen but what their official status was I dont know,their insignia does appear from time to time in Bosleys auctions.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 07-01-11, 08:28 PM
Peter J

Thanks Peter,

Was it American in origin?
Old 07-01-11, 08:52 PM

Peter,

I am trying to locate the information I have on the "unit" but without success, but I will keep on searching.

I think it was formed in the UK but I cannot say for sure if Almeric Paget was British.

I will post more if and when I can find it.

Peter

P.S. Just found a snippet in the branch Circular of the West Midlands MHS on the Massage Service ".....Youg ladies of impeccable family and education joined the unit during The Great War, some of whom came from the school at Abbots Bromley......."

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 07-01-11, 08:57 PM

Almeric Paget Massage Corps

The Almeric Paget Massage Corps was started in August 1914 by Mr and Mrs Almeric Paget. They funded 50 fully trained masseuses to be sited in the principal Military Hospitals in the UK, beginning in early September 1914. The service was such a success that the staff numbers were quickly increased to over 100. The Honourable Essex French was appointed Honourable secretary to the Corps.
The work was hard, starting at 9 am with a 30 minute lunch break and a 10 minute tea break at 2.15 pm. Each masseuse would see 30-40 patients per day and provide treatments that included massage, hydrotherapy, electrotherapy and “… stimulating muscles with the ‘Bristow coil’ or subjecting a limb to interrupted galvanism, ionisation or a Schee bath, diathermy or radiant heat”.
In November 1914 the A.P.M.C. set up a Massage and Electrical Out-Patient Clinic at 55 Portland Place, London for the treatment of wounded officers and men, again wholly financed by the Paget’s. The property at Portland Place was loaned by Lady Alexander Paget. Throughout the war an average of 200 patients per day benefited from the services of the clinic. Sir Alfred Keogh, Director General Army Medical Service, inspected the clinic in March 1915 and the service subsequently became the model for all the massage and electrical departments in convalescent hospitals and command depots throughout the UK. A grant to fund the expansion was also provided and the first convalescent camp opened at Eastbourne with over 3000 patients, 500 of whom were massage cases.
The War Office officially recognised the Corps in early 1915 by making it the official body to which all masseurs and masseuses engaged for service in military hospitals should belong. The word “military” was added to the Corps’ title in December 1916 and in January 1919 A.P.M.M.C. became known as the Military Massage Service by Army Council Instruction. Until early 1917 members of the corps were only required to serve in the UK, but from that date onwards service overseas was an option. A total of 56 masseuses served in France and Italy between January 1917 and May 1919. In total 3,388 women and men served in the A.P.M.M.C., with a peak membership of 2000 in 1919.
Old 07-01-11, 09:01 PM

The atached is from the West Midlands MHS circular August- September 2010.

If it is not clear I am happy to E mail copies to anyone who might be interested.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img221.jpg (99.1 KB, 62 views)

Old 07-01-11, 09:04 PM
Peter J

Thanks everyone - some interesting stuff there.

So although 'independent' at its outset, it was eventually absorbed into the military in 1916.

Wonder how long it existed?

Thanks again,

Peter.
Old 07-01-11, 09:07 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post
The atached is from the West Midlands MHS circular August- September 2010.

If it is not clear I am happy to E mail copies to anyone who might be interested.

P.B.
Thanks Peter - submitted my last post before I saw your last.

So my badge can be dated specifically to 1916-1918. Really interesting.

Thanks for your kind help.

Peter.
Old 08-01-11, 11:36 AM

As a matter of interest there were 2 Pagets Massage Service items in Bosleys postal auction of 29th October 2008.

Lot 382 WW1 brass cap badge,die cast,loops £80-£120

Lot 383 PMS scarce WW1 brass shoulder title, loops £25-£40

Dont know the hammer prices.

P.B.

Old 08-01-11, 11:41 AM
Peter J

Thanks Peter,

So given the badge price (if mine is a similar item) would you think it is an indication that it is fairly uncommon? Mine, it has to be said, is not in good nick though.

PJ
Old 08-01-11, 11:47 AM

PJ,

Yours is not the same as the cap badge but still a fairly valuable item despite the condition.

P.B.

Old 08-01-11, 11:51 AM
Peter J

Thanks Peter; nice to know, and thanks for your help.

All the best,

Peter.
Old 10-01-11, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Thanks Peter,

So given the badge price (if mine is a similar item) would you think it is an indication that it is fairly uncommon? Mine, it has to be said, is not in good nick though.

PJ
I would say it is very uncommon. But like the Expeditionary Forces Canteen / EFC , uncommon does not mean valuable. There will be a demand from Military Nursing collectors but I'd think it would be pretty low on the wants list for most collectors.

I cannot fathom the hobby sometimes. Paras and SAS are very common but look at the silly money they can go for?