British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-08-20, 02:09 AM

Default To Clean or Not to Clean, That is the Question

What is the general consensus on when to clean a badge. I am not talking about making them look all shiny and new, just to cleaning away dirt, and things like verdigris, etc.?

I will normally clean dirt off, but always very gently so as not to impair the patina age puts on one.

Thanks,

Terry
Old 16-08-20, 05:54 AM

Worth trying the search facility because this subject has been discussed many times in the past.

P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 16-08-20, 06:55 AM

Terry,

I use tooth paste & a tooth brush for a light cleaning on fire gilt, bronze and copper. For stubborn tarnishing & verdigris on brass and white metal, I use Brasso and then rinse with soap & very hot water. From my experience, if corrosion is not stopped, it will worsen to the point where it will severely degrade the metal. Cheers,

Walt

Last edited by Walt P; 16-08-20 at 07:00 AM.
Old 16-08-20, 01:01 PM

I know how to clean a tarnished badge back to shiny metal, but I would like to know if it possible to do anything with faded gilt like the rare helmet plate I bought years ago (still faded). We have had threads about expensive and poisonous professional re-gilding but, like brasso, it would destroy originality.
Old 16-08-20, 01:11 PM

I always clean and sometimes polish newly acquired badge if they need it.
A GM badge should look like it, not a bronze OSD color. Some badges have a pleasing light patina which I leave alone, in such cases I just use an old toothbrush, dish soap and rinse with hot water to remove old polish and dirt.
Any badge that has corrosion, heavy soiling and old polish stuck in crevices should be cleaned up to preserve it and make it presentable.
Badges which I have polished up attain a beautiful toning and patina within a few years anyway.

CB
Old 16-08-20, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
I know how to clean a tarnished badge back to shiny metal, but I would like to know if it possible to do anything with faded gilt like the rare helmet plate I bought years ago (still faded). We have had threads about expensive and poisonous professional re-gilding but, like brasso, it would destroy originality.
In my opinion, the best way to deal with gilded badges is to wash them in dish soap and use a soft toothbrush to clean, and rinse thoroughly. Do not use metal polish as it will remove even more of the old gilt, Brasso being exceptionally bad in this respect.
Flitz does make a liquid polish that supposedly can safely be used on gilt, glass etc.

CB
Old 16-08-20, 01:33 PM

With verdigris I Start with an old tooth brush and soap, this normally fails but I like to start off slow. I then use white vinegar. Again start off slowly just giving the badge a quick dip. Progressing up to leaving the badge in the vinegar for longer periods. Some times I have to use a stiffer brush. This method has never failed. I hasten to add I only use this with G.M. Or W.M. Badges. I also like to clean any new badge with old toothbrush and soap and water. I don’t use any type of metal cleaner.
Old 16-08-20, 02:01 PM

Further to my previous post, and to address the questions & suggestions regarding fire gilt metal badges, I also recommend an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner. My Wife purchased one from Amazon several years ago to clean her rings, necklaces, earrings, etc. Cost with cleaning solution is around $50 CAD. I tried this method on several of my badges, and was pleased with the result. Cheers,

Walt
Old 16-08-20, 04:23 PM

Thank you all!

I don't usually have much luck in my searching attempts so hadn't tried it but will and see what other threads say on the subject. I don't have any with verdigris, but do have some with old polishing residue so will look at cleaning that off. Again thanks, a big help here!

Terry