British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-11-20, 11:09 AM

Default Uniform ID?

Attached photograph of my Grandfather. Can anyone identify the uniform/Corps and date the period it would have been worn please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Help.jpg (60.6 KB, 67 views)
Old 12-11-20, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadalpha View Post
Attached photograph of my Grandfather. Can anyone identify the uniform/Corps and date the period it would have been worn please.
Hi nomadalpha
Great picture, your grandfather was Army Service Corps WW1 ( became “Royal “ ASC 1918) looking at his cap badge, he is also wearing spurs and a bandolier ( the belt across his chest) which suggests he was in a mounted section of that regiment, also he has “ good conduct chevrons “ on his lower left arm of his uniform, looks like 3 in number ?

Had another look at the picture, can’t quite tell but looks like he’s got a medal ribbon/ribbons on his uniform, I can just make out what looks a small white mark/s in the medal ribbon positions ,do you know anything more about him, did he serve before WW1, always hard to tell ages in these old pictures but doesn’t look a young man so possibly was in before the war,( or a post war picture ?) hopefully someone else will help out

Gerard

Last edited by gb64; 12-11-20 at 05:59 PM. Reason: More information
Old 12-11-20, 01:45 PM

Default UNIFORM ID

Hello Gerard,
Thank you for a rapid response, I know next to nothing about my Grandfather; my Father fought in WW1, Machine Gun Corps) and WW2(RAOC) so this could place this photo pre WW1I vaguely remember visiting the Grandparents in London during WW2. There was a map of the world above the kitchen fire place covered in coloured pins showing advances made in various theaters, he would move pins according to reports on the BBC News. My younger brother and I had to remain silent during this time. It's the only detail I remember. The London side of the family had all moved when we tried to make contact.
Again thanks for the ID.
Regards
Old 12-11-20, 01:49 PM

Your Grandfather was a Boer War veteran as he is wearing the ribbons of the Queens South Africa Medal and the Kings South Africa Medal.

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 12-11-20, 04:14 PM

That is indeed an nice photo. Ally Sloper's Cavalry as the mounted SAC were known as. Not surprised that he transferred to other Corps during the war for a long service soldier.

CB
Old 12-11-20, 04:48 PM

Default Uniform ID

Many thanks to all for your help - the family will appreciate it when I pass it on.