British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-11-20, 06:07 PM

Default Glengarry dices

Well...I have been searching info about glengarry dices, I am sure you know all about this... but let me explain in order to see if I understood that or I am wrong...if my info is correct, maybe this thread help rookies as I to learn about this fascinating question...here we go!
First of all I have this info from a little but marvelous book about WWII british badges (a book that I have too in my little british colection!)...you can see the dices of different scottish regiments..

Well...after WWII some glengarries changed...In 1959 Royal Scots Fusilier and Highlander light infantry merged into the Royal Highlanders fusiliers and keep the dice...but both changed the badge to another new

After that in 1961 Seaforth and Queens own cameron merged too into queens own highlanders...they kept the badge of Seaforth, but the glengarry was adopted without dice (as Cameron was)

Is my info correct?? I hope so!

Last edited by Trubia26; 26-11-20 at 06:24 PM.
Old 26-11-20, 06:40 PM

My first question...I have seen this picture that show the Royal Scots glengarry without dice..

..why??? At first they had not got dice?

The second...I know that Royal Scots and KOSB merged into Royal Scots Borderers...What changed in their glengarries? (Prior to merged into Royal regiment of scotland)

The last one...I have seen in the web several gkengarries with badges differents that the regiments I know...I think that most of them are just for selling the glengarries make them hamson...but is there any glengarry different?...like this one for example (I dont know if is correct)
Old 28-11-20, 01:37 PM

Red face

I have seen this book online

...so the last glengarry I posted is real!...So there are (or there were) more regimental glengarries that I thought...So I only know that I don't know nothing about glengarries...
Old 28-11-20, 02:22 PM

The Black Watch ,glengarry with badge is for pipers. The Jocks just wore a black TOS with red hackle and red pompom ,no badge. Khaki TOS in working dress .

The Seaforth before amalgamation ,the Jocks wore a black TOS with diced band. I'm presuming standard coloured dicing.
Old 28-11-20, 05:09 PM
Mark McClelland-Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubia26 View Post
My first question...I have seen this picture that show the Royal Scots glengarry without dice..

..why??? At first they had not got dice?

The second...I know that Royal Scots and KOSB merged into Royal Scots Borderers...What changed in their glengarries? (Prior to merged into Royal regiment of scotland)

The last one...I have seen in the web several gkengarries with badges differents that the regiments I know...I think that most of them are just for selling the glengarries make them hamson...but is there any glengarry different?...like this one for example (I dont know if is correct)
The amalgamation forming the Royal Scots Borderers happened upon the formation of the Royal Regiment of Scotland. As such, the glengarry simply became that worn by all SCOTS battalions. Upon amalgamation and SCOTS creation, the two regiments became: The Royal Scots Borderers, 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland. A black hackle is worn with a TOS but not in the glengarry.

I'll take a pic of my own SCOTS glengarry and post...

Mark
Old 28-11-20, 05:21 PM
Mark McClelland-Jones

Quote:
Well...I have been searching info about glengarry dices, I am sure you know all about this... but let me explain in order to see if I understood that or I am wrong...if my info is correct, maybe this thread help rookies as I to learn about this fascinating question...here we go!
First of all I have this info from a little but marvelous book about WWII british badges (a book that I have too in my little british colection!)...you can see the dices of different scottish regiments..

Well...after WWII some glengarries changed...In 1959 Royal Scots Fusilier and Highlander light infantry merged into the Royal Highlanders fusiliers and keep the dice...but both changed the badge to another new

After that in 1961 Seaforth and Queens own cameron merged too into queens own highlanders...they kept the badge of Seaforth, but the glengarry was adopted without dice (as Cameron was)

Is my info correct?? I hope so!
Upon amalgamation of the Queens Own Highlanders & Gordon Highlanders (1994) to become The Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons & Camerons): the same QOHldrs glengarry and badge with blue hackle was adopted.

Mark
Old 28-11-20, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McClelland-Jones View Post
The amalgamation forming the Royal Scots Borderers happened upon the formation of the Royal Regiment of Scotland. As such, the glengarry simply became that worn by all SCOTS battalions. Upon amalgamation and SCOTS creation, the two regiments became: The Royal Scots Borderers, 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland. A black hackle is worn with a TOS but not in the glengarry.

I'll take a pic of my own SCOTS glengarry and post...

Mark
Oh well! That is why I could not find a different glengarry for Royal Scot borderers...thanks for the info...it will be great to see your Scots glengarry!!!
Old 28-11-20, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Upon amalgamation of the Queens Own Highlanders & Gordon Highlanders (1994) to become The Highlanders (Seaforth, Gordons & Camerons): the same QOHldrs glengarry and badge with blue hackle was adopted.

Mark
Yes...I know that...I did not mentioned because the glengarry did'nt change...but thanks a lot for complete my info!!!
Old 28-11-20, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
The Black Watch ,glengarry with badge is for pipers. The Jocks just wore a black TOS with red hackle and red pompom ,no badge. Khaki TOS in working dress .

The Seaforth before amalgamation ,the Jocks wore a black TOS with diced band. I'm presuming standard coloured dicing.
Sorry for my ignorance but...what is a Jocks?
Old 28-11-20, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Sorry for my ignorance but...what is a Jocks?
Hi, this might help

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jock_(given_name)

Gerard
Old 28-11-20, 08:15 PM
Mark McClelland-Jones

Quote:
Yes...I know that...I did not mentioned because the glengarry did'nt change...but thanks a lot for complete my info!!!
A pleasure - and thanks for adding to my knowledge!

Mark
Old 28-11-20, 08:47 PM
Mark McClelland-Jones

Quote:
Oh well! That is why I could not find a different glengarry for Royal Scot borderers...thanks for the info...it will be great to see your Scots glengarry!!!
SCOTS glengarry with blackcock feather.

26F9F877-CCCF-4F20-A317-AD402E809C66_1_201_a.jpg

0C81C755-4362-492F-B003-051E4B6E77EE_1_201_a.jpg

DFBD4F66-60E2-4895-AD0E-72E3DD121136_1_201_a.jpg
Old 28-11-20, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb64 View Post
Well...as wiki says...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...Army_regiments

Jocks are Scots guards!
Old 28-11-20, 08:57 PM

Quote:
SCOTS glengarry with blackcock feather.

Attachment 235180

Attachment 235181

Attachment 235182
What a beautiful glengarry!!!...the feather makes even more nice! Greetings for having so great glengarry and thanks for share!!!
Old 29-11-20, 07:27 AM

Could be this all the glengarries badges knowed? (with the adition of royal highlander fusiliers)

Last edited by Trubia26; 29-11-20 at 07:53 AM.