British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-07-20, 03:14 AM

Default CAMC Sisters/Nurses Badges Question

In an old thread about Canadian nurses there are several pictures from links that show them wearing what appears to be the standard CAMC cap badge and collar badge.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=47872

So, if I am reading this correctly, the Canadian nurses in WWI and WWII wore the CAMC cap and collar badge, having no distinct badge like the British or Australians?

Further, it was hard to tell if they wore a cap badge size on their hats and a collar size on the tunic, or was it a collar size for both the hat and the tunic?

Thanks,

Terry
Old 01-07-20, 05:43 AM

Hi Terry,
From my research many years ago and if I remember correctly (need to look at my records some time), the WWI Canadian nurses wore CAMC cap badges and smaller CAMC collar badges. WWII they wore RCAMC collar badges on cap and collars and post war, they had a large bullion embroidered cap badge with RCAMC collar badges. Buttons were always CAMC/RCAMC pattern.

The Canadian nurses never had there own unique pattern of badge. The CAMC/RCAMC badges were always officers silver/gilt badges, but I have seen brass/gm RCAMC worn on the beret late WWII in Europe with battledress.

Regards
Steven
Old 01-07-20, 02:28 PM

Many thanks Steven!!! Excellent help and much appreciated. Let's me know how to proceed.

Terry
Old 01-07-20, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Terry,
Many First WW nursing sisters ONLY wore the CAMC collars, though as pointed out on the other thread, some did have cap badges. They were not considered a separate service, as in some other Commonwealth (Empire) nations.
As Steven points out, by the Second WW the nursing sisters wore RCAMC insignia. They were all officers. (Some female RCAMC officers were doctors, physio or occupation therapists, dieticians or admin types as well) CAO (Canadian Army Order) No 3782 authorized female RCAMC officers to wear a cap badge the same size as the collar. (These are usually vertical pin backed)
There were two sizes of the bullion wire embroidered badges, the larger of which, on the dull cherry backing is often confused with a blazer crest.
Old 01-07-20, 05:27 PM

Bill, More excellent info! Thank you!!!

Terry