British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Indian Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-10-22, 12:34 PM

Default 8th Gurkha Rifles - first class recruit badge

Just received this in the post from Australia. It's highly unusual and not a great deal is known about it. I believe it pre- dates WW1, it's much larger than I expected it to be - some 64mm in height - too large for a pill- box hat - I suspect it was worn on the Gurkha Slouch Hat. Exactly how many Recruits were classified "1st Class" and allowed to wear it - I really don't know. Nor does the Gurkha Museum - who have a drawing of the badge in their book on the insignia of the 8GR - (the drawing is not to scale - so it looks a lot smaller in the book). There's also an article in the IMHS - August 1971, about the badge - which also points out something I probably would have missed. At the bottom of the wreath of laurels is a Thistle - which is apparently a nod to the close association between the hillmen of Nepal and the Highlanders from Scotland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 885CA914-B5B7-4E04-B822-4FE2C3B5E522.jpg (69.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 06A14112-DB38-4F57-89FD-26E61E74A827.jpg (58.8 KB, 10 views)