British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-08-21, 12:39 AM

Default Canadian Legion Maple Leaf Shows: Example

Here’s another rare Cdn. title I recently paid dearly for at auction; the Canadian Legion Maple Leaf Shows. There are inexpensive replicas on the market, as has been discussed on the Forum on a few occasions, but originals are few and far between. It’s my opinion this is an original, for what that’s worth! It is perhaps somewhat unique in that it has the original stitched guidelines, at least, this isn’t something I’ve seen on any other examples I can find on the net. Note the similarity in the reverse stitching style to the embroidered CFPU previous post in https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=86167

During the Second World War, Canada, like most countries organized some R&R for the troops. Here at home, organizations like Canadian Red Cross and the Sally Anne War Services, the Society of the Imperial Order of Daughters of the Empire, La Ligue de la jeunesse feminine, the Montreal Soldiers' Wives League, Canadian Knights of Columbus War Services, the (YMCA) along with others did what they could to boost the morale of the soldiers. The Canadian Legion was no exception and organized concerts and variety entertainment shows both in Canada and Britain. I’m not clear if they actually took some of these entertainers directly to the combat areas. In conjunction with the CBC, these groups must have had such acts as The Happy Gang and Wayne and Shuster (Johnny Wayne and Frank Shuster for those of you under 60) who made many trips domestically and overseas to show their support for Canadian troops. On the home front, “The Army Show” served to try to boost morale.

A great background and summary for various Auxiliary Services can be found here: https://www.canadiansoldiers.com/org...ryservices.htm
“Civilian representatives of the services were permitted to serve in the field with units of the Canadian military, and wore uniforms with appropriate insignia; they did not hold rank in the armed forces and were referred to as "Supervisors", though they enjoyed officers' privileges and were paid by the Government the same salary as a captain in the Army.”

Previous Forum threads discussing this title include:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=62279
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=25333

I always agonize over the dilemma of illustrating the details of any given fabric patch as once authenticated; the net results can be either positive or negative for the collector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Canadian Legion Maple Leaf Shows, sm.jpg (95.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 23-08-21, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

That title was recently offered on ebay. It has those cut guides which I have never seen on other authentic titles. The embroidery is like that found on known good examples, but the last "S" on SHOWS is a bit of a mess. I think this may have been a sample or pattern example.
Old 23-08-21, 01:35 PM

Thanks Bill, your comments are always very sage and welcome. Yes, the stitching is a bit sloppy, not only on the last "S" of SHOWS but a few other letters too. I like your theory of it being a sample or pattern example during development. Maybe a trial example during a pre-production run.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shows.jpg (90.9 KB, 9 views)

Tags
legion, legion maple leaf shows, maple leaf, maple leaf shows, title