British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-01-19, 07:38 PM

Default 19th NIAGARA Bty.

I managed to start a “new thread” in the hopes that someone can explain what the IVF stands for on a brass titled Pagri flash that I have which reads, 19 over Niagara over IVF. Regards, D.J.
Old 13-01-19, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
I managed to start a “new thread” in the hopes that someone can explain what the IVF stands for on a brass titled Pagri flash that I have which reads, 19 over Niagara over IVF. Regards, D.J.
Interesting, normally it would mean that the Battery was part of the 4th Field Brigade. But when these badges were worn 19th (Niagara) Battery was a Medium Battery and not in IV Fd Bde.

Do you have an image?

Marc
Old 13-01-19, 08:19 PM

Default Correction!

Hello Mark, So sorry to have screwed up! I had posted the correct title in my post previous to the one you answered. (It was the last post in the thread RFA-hidden in plain sight)Unfortunately, I was at the time, putting my 19 Niagara M title in my album, was writing about my 14 CORUNNA IVF title. I will assume that your answer is correct for the Corunna title. I will make the excuse of “it was the lateness of the hour” but more truthfully it’s “likely the lateness of my years!” Best regards and Thank you. D.J.
Old 13-01-19, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Hello Mark, So sorry to have screwed up! I had posted the correct title in my post previous to the one you answered. (It was the last post in the thread RFA-hidden in plain sight)Unfortunately, I was at the time, putting my 19 Niagara M title in my album, was writing about my 14 CORUNNA IVF title. I will assume that your answer is correct for the Corunna title. I will make the excuse of “it was the lateness of the hour” but more truthfully it’s “likely the lateness of my years!” Best regards and Thank you. D.J.
No problem and yes, the batteries in 4th Bde were the only ones to put the IVF under the Battery, contrary to the regulations.

Marc
Old 15-01-19, 12:18 PM

DJ
I've gone and posted a reply on the original 'incorrect thread' not realising you've started a new one.
Charlie

This is what I said:

I'm not sure that you didn't mean to start a seperate thread ?
14th (Corunna) Battery was part of 4th Field Brigade. It wasn't awarded the 'Corunna' title until 1937 so your badge must presumably date to this period ? The name was changed to 17th Corunna Battery and 4th Field Brigade is now 26th Regiment RA. There is more detail on a brief history online here:
https://www.26thregra-asc.com/17bty.html
and there are some interesting photos on Flikr here but no clear pagri badge!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pjbull...th/5367770493/

Hope this helps
Charlie
Old 11-01-21, 05:31 PM

The battery badge is visible on this vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg India 2 003.jpg (49.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 11-01-21, 07:37 PM

High Wood, that was an interesting photo showing the Bty marking on the Veh. Also of the link to the history of 17th Bty. One often reads of insignia being used to create confusion for the Enemy. It’s my lot to be even more confused than any enemy when trying to decipher the lineage of Artillery regiments and batteries. Honour Titles seem to the unknowing, to follow the same edict! Being transferred to other batteries (leading one to ponder, “Where’s the connection?”) The “Honour Title” Corunna, commemorates the actions by Capt. Wilmot’s Company and Capt. Truscott’s Company, both of 3rd Battalion R.A.. I wonder how many batteries have carried that Title since it was first awarded, and when was that? See my attached picture of the 14th Corunna Bty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DDC3D19E-E045-4A0B-BB33-9FA116C398E4.jpg (31.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-01-21, 10:19 AM

Thank you for posting the photograph of your badge.

Here is a link to my thread on another forum.

http://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads...tillery.88723/
Old 12-01-21, 04:07 PM

Probably one of the few surviving photographs of your badge being worn. It is a shame that the image isn't sharper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg India 4 009.jpg (48.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg India 4 011.JPG (56.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-01-21, 05:27 PM

To High Wood, Oh Dear!, The thought has occurred to me to try and obtain photo’s of the different pugaree badges I have being worn. Hopefully, that thought may subside during the day, I just don’t have the time left to start another facet of my interest in Commonwealth Artillery badges! I DO have a very nice bullion pugaree badge to the 52nd (6th London) Anti-Tank Regt. I’m wondering if Snr NCO.s would have worn it or just Officers, presumably for Mess Dress. Any ideas? Best regards, D.J.