British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-01-19, 10:31 PM

Default Chindits formation sign

Does anyone have any thoughts on this badge? The chinthe looks a little odd but it appears to be an original badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chindit badge.jpg (53.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg chinn back.jpg (42.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 06-01-19, 10:58 PM

Looks totally fine to me.

An original example.

Cheers,

Roy

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com
Old 07-01-19, 09:13 AM

Roy,

thank you for your valued opinion. I have my doubts about the condition of the back compared to the front and, wondered if it was a modern copy that has been distressed. It was relatively cheap, compared to what other ones sell for.

There were only two bids placed on it and I got it for just over the starting price which has started alarm bells ringing.

Simon
Old 07-01-19, 10:14 AM

Hi Simon,

I see your point but I would not worry, it looks totally authentic to me. If the price was right, sounds like you got a great deal.

Well done,

Roy

Old 07-01-19, 05:41 PM

Looks a lovely example. I would like to find a cheap original....as we all would but I can also understand your concerns. Maybe as it was Xmas the bidders stayed away.

Jerry
Old 09-01-19, 03:15 PM

I was watching this one too on ebay, I believe it is a good one (albeit unusual) and it sold rather cheap.
Old 10-01-19, 10:23 AM

Given that these badges are all meant to be of the same design but, being being hand made, are all inevitably different, they are a minefield for the unwary, especially with the huge number of fakes around.

That said, the formation sign has arrived this morning and it seems that I needn't have worried as it is a little gem. The photographs posted on ebay didn't do it justice. It is a much darker blue than the photographs suggested. It is also smaller than the average being only 60mm in diameter as apposed to the more usual 70mm.

Many thanks for your helpful comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chiin 003.jpg (102.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Chiin 009.jpg (92.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg New chin 003.jpg (73.2 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by High Wood; 10-01-19 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-01-19, 02:45 PM

An interesting variant. I recall Roy had a number of examples and they make an impressive display. I have a couple and attach an image of the printed example - tricky to find
Regards
Mike

Just seen your album - very nice!
Old 10-01-19, 02:58 PM

Never heard of a printed example Mike
Thanks for sharing mate
Jon
Old 10-01-19, 03:08 PM

Hi Mike,

That is a lovely printed example. I had two exactly the same as yours. The printed examples are very rare and as far as I can recall all are identical, so I would presume came out of the same small workshop.

Cheers,

Roy

Old 17-01-19, 10:17 AM

Coming to this thread a little late chaps must have missed it , the Chindit patch at the start of this thread is fine n dandy, an original badge but this patch is a perfect example of what a lot of collectors would have dismissed as Pakistani fake ` loose threads on the back they all cry ....!!!! well its important to realise that dismissing an original badge as fake because of the messy back is a dangerous and inaccurate means of judging originality .

Yes we all can tel these fakes they have a very distinct messy loose thread design and we see them on ebay week in week out BUT some genuine war time manufactured far east formations signs do have an appearance of modern fakes - Like the Chindit sign at the start of the thread I would surmise a lot of people did not comment because of the loose thread shown under the backing cloth ??

Most of the fakes use a woollen mix thread too coarse and too thick to be as originals, the originals used more of a cotton thread or silk/ cotton mix thread and the big give away as I have mentioned before on the fakes is the loose weave cotton cloth backing the fakers use on the badge usually black or Dirty ` off` white but I have seen a few red ones creeping in this backing material is what the actual fakers purchase the rare material in ! is the outer hessian for the bales of wool , once you look afew times its quite easy to spot.
Old 17-01-19, 10:24 AM

Regarding Printed Chindit printed examples ALL the examples I have seen or handled are very similar and do not vary in print quality un like the India Pegasus that was made in the far east which tends to make me believe as I have done for many years that the Printed Chindit sign was UK manufactured ?

Combine this that a genuine taken in the far east photograph of a printed Chindit sign in wear to my knowledge does not exist I strongly believe the badge was only worn in the UK on return from the Far east , a chap I know who has collected Far east theatre insignia for 35 years suspects ??? the badges may .. have arrived in India just in time for the voyage home ?
Old 17-01-19, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on this badge? The chinthe looks a little odd but it appears to be an original badge.
Quality looks really good.
Andy
Old 17-01-19, 11:07 AM

Hi Michael
I agree, printed Chindit badges appear far less frequently than embroidered, and the embroidered appear in a wide wide range of locally made variations. The printed version is a bit of an enigma.
I am not an expert on 'degrading' or 'mottling' of cloth, but wonder about the marks on the reverse of the one illustrated?
I acknowledge there is no sign of wear on this badge and, like you, can not recall seeing a photograph of the printed version in wear.
The collector you refer to may have a point. Wrongly or rightly I have associated 'mottling' of insignia with Far Eastern etc climate, but this is just supposition on my part.
Mike
Old 04-02-19, 03:56 PM

An unhelpful bit of info. from me:

Crown Imperial no. 62, Spring 1991 contains an article "Bits and Pieces - Polish Style" by Peter Taylor.
Amongst other insignia shown in "photocopier quality" monochrome illustrations on page 17 is one of a printed Chindit sign (slight differences in design to the ones shown in this thread).
It's captioned as "Fig. 10 is an unknown Polish badge - any information welcome. It is a printed Chindit which is most unusual".